• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign nurses and doctors no longer welcome.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

yes, focus on bad med schools and completely ignore a lot of good med schools.

I wonder why there are lots of indian doctors in US/UK if the quality is so bad, why doesn't BMA strike them all out. The point is unlike IT professionals , it's very rare for a bad doctor to retain his job if he does serious mistake. The quality control is much stringent in this profession.
    The total estimated outstanding compensation claims for the NHS is now 83 billion. On average every person in the UK is owed 1 grand for NHS fook ups. That's your stringent quality control right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      Interesting that you take that view.

Others could see it as a positive that we're going to invest in our own people to bolster the NHS.

YMMV.
      I agree, but the problem is after "investing in our own people", most of them hoof it off to the US where they can earn more

There should be a rigorously enforced tapering charge of training cost repayments if they emigrate too soon after qualifying!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I agree, but the problem is after "investing in our own people", most of them hoof it off to the US where they can earn more

There should be a rigorously enforced tapering charge of training cost repayments if they emigrate too soon after qualifying!
        How would that work in practice?

Lots of doctors go off to work in other countries for periods of time, so leave the tax system. However they come back to the UK as they never planned to leave permanently they were just using working aboard as part as a training opportunity. I actually know some doctors who work in emergency medicine who keep looking like they are going to emigrate but return to the UK for a few years before going off again.

The NHS also allows foreign doctors to work in the UK as part of their training or to finish off their training. They are the ones I know who when they leave, they leave for good.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I have no problem training the worlds doctors so long as we make a profit, there should be a overseas surcharge so we recover the cost plus profit.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post

yes, focus on bad med schools and completely ignore a lot of good med schools.

I wonder why there are lots of indian doctors in US/UK if the quality is so bad, why doesn't BMA strike them all out. The point is unlike IT professionals , it's very rare for a bad doctor to retain his job if he does serious mistake. The quality control is much stringent in this profession.
            Would 30 years do you?

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co....-bogus-doctor/

Apparently he was highly regarded by his patients though they did have a tendency to froth at the mouth.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
            X