• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blames the pork inside her

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blames the pork inside her

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/57480597

American middle distance runner Shelby Houlihan has been banned from athletics for four years after testing positive for a prohibited substance - which she blamed on a burrito.
    Olympian Houlihan said it may have come from eating a pork burrito, which she said could lead to a false positive for nandrolone, the night before her test.

Houlihan, the US record holder in the 1500m and 5,000m, said she had "never even heard" of nandrolone, which can help to increase muscle mass.
    "I have since learned that it has long been understood by Wada (World Anti-Doping Agency) that eating pork can lead to a false positive for nandrolone, since certain types of pigs produce it naturally in high amounts. Pig organ meat (offal) has the highest levels of nandrolone," she said.
    "In the following five days after being notified, I put together a food log of everything that I consumed the week of that December 15th test.
    "We concluded that the most likely explanation was a burrito purchased and consumed approximately 10 hours before that drug test from an authentic Mexican food truck that serves pig offal near my house in Beaverton, Oregon.
    Didn't Tyson Fury use a similar defence that he'd been feasting on uncastrated wild boar, or was that someone else?
    Seems to me a little odd:
    • She has "never heard" of nandrolone... sounds a little unlikely given the testing culture, surely you'd come across the term
    • Do Olympic standard athletes, who are typically obsessed with diet, tend to eat pork burritos during training?
    • Would you buy a burrito from a random food truck? Surely high risk for getting ill. Someone might bring up Usain Bolt's chicken nuggets but that was precisely because he wanted something he trusted.
    Given the obsessive nature with testing and the endemic problems with drugs in sport, surely any pro athlete is going to live very cautiously and know exactly what they're putting in their mouths, even aside from diet/nutrition/health reasons. How often do we see athletes making these claims?

Am I cynical? Just seems to me being whiter than white is part of the job for a pro athlete. Don't give anyone any reason to doubt.
    Last edited by d000hg; 15 June 2021, 11:27.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

So if I start eating a lot of pork pies I will look and perform like an athlete?
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      So if I start eating a lot of pork pies I will look and perform like an athlete?
      Maybe like a female shot-putter?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Maybe like a female shot-putter?
        Only the look. Not the performance.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Only the look. Not the performance.
          Probably on a par performance-wise in other athletics events... hurdling, long jump, etc

Comment

Working...
          X