• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blatant covid passport gold-plating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The EU digital wallet is voluntary for those who want to travel. Brits can sit at home and sulk in freedom.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

holiday bookings from Germany to France to Spain are gathering pace, in line with a vaccination drive covering a growing part of the population and depressing infections.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 5 June 2021, 07:26.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Most other European countries, regardless of their EU status, have ID cards anyway or each member of the population has an ID number so they can access their country's services. So for them this is no biggie.
      They do. The UK has never gone down that path. Not enitrely sure why but there seems to be much suspicion around having them.

I wondered if the new driving license was going to be start of a move towards identity cards when they first came out, maybe that will still happen, maybe billions will be spent on a different idea.

Comment

IDs required to check age to buy booze, smokes, get into pubs/clubs, rent a car, verify identity to sign up for banking - people don’t seem to have a problem with that

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          IDs required to check age to buy booze, smokes, get into pubs/clubs, rent a car, verify identity to sign up for banking - people don’t seem to have a problem with that
          It's an EU Id. It doesn't matter whether it's voluntary and what benefits it gives you, it will be seen in Britain as an instrument of oppression.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Officials last month signed off on a 'digital Covid certificate' which can act as a vaccine passport. But this new ID wallet goes a step further, allowing users to store other files like driver's licenses, professional qualifications and financial details.
            They could go further and record everything you purchase online and in person.

They when you apply for a job or apply for insurance they could look at how much alcohol you are consuming for example.

Maybe a recruiter could check if an applicant has had an abortion, or ever spoken to there doctor about depression, or look at how many times you have been to the doctor to work out if you may be off sick too much.

Make the information public, then your neighbours could send you a message saying sorry when your partner has a miscarriage.

I could provide other examples, which is why we should try to retain our privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post

They when you apply for a job or apply for insurance they could look at how much alcohol you are consuming for example.

Maybe a recruiter could check if an applicant has had an abortion, or ever spoken to there doctor about depression, or look at how many times you have been to the doctor to work out if you may be off sick too much.

Make the information public, then your neighbours could send you a message saying sorry when your partner has a miscarriage.

I could provide other examples, which is why we should try to retain our privacy.
              Any ID system needs to have very clear limits and boundaries.

The amount of information to share with any entity requiring you to prove your identity should be proportionate.

So, to pick up a parcel from the Post Office, I need to prove my name and address matches that on the parcel. To pick one up from John Lewis click and collect, I need to show my order number and my name. The confirmation email should be sufficient for that, maybe with one other supporting piece with my name on.

To buy age restricted items, I need to prove my age. No other information is necessary to facilitate that transaction.

Sadly, we have ended up in a situation, because we don't have an ID card system, where you have to have a passport or driving license in order to prove your identity. The cost of those is quite prohibitive to many people and it's a waste of time for someone who doesn't drive or doesn't leave the country. I remember taking my birth certificate out in my yoof in order to get my best mate into pubs due to a lack of other "official" ID.

Comment

They could go further and record everything you purchase online and in person..
                Already done, long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Already done, long time ago.
                  Not yet. You can still buy a bottle of wine with cash and not provide ID if you look old like me.

My point is why should something to prove a vaccine status end up being used to apply for a loan or register at a university.

Saying that a lot of people are happy to have amazon or google recording everything they say in their homes.

Comment

Not yet. You can still buy a bottle of wine with cash and not provide ID if you look old like me.
                    CCTV, everywhere.

Faces tied to names via helpful Facebook and other social networks.

Phone locational data.

etc

"The only privacy that's left is the inside of your head. Maybe that's enough."

Comment

It will contain whatever information you want it to contain. It's you who adds the information. If you want to delete it you can delete it, It's simply being offered as an alternative to facebook.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X