• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Vanguard Pension funds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Vanguard Pension funds

Hi,
    I am planning to invest £40k in vanguard pension funds. Can you please give some suggestions as what are the best funds to invest. I am 46 and not looking to take out money for at least 11 years (mandatory 57 years). Don't mind taking bit of risk but looking for good returns and investment in diversified sectors/markets. Links to compare would also help.
    Last edited by sammy2020; 9 May 2021, 15:13.

I will keep it simple.

Years ago the rule on equity to bonds ratio was 100 - your age. See https://www.investopedia.com/article...e-outdated.asp

However, with all the money printing etc, this is quite outdated.

My gut feel is a 70 / 30 fund would be better, a little more risky, but with more possible reward.

Therefore buy the simple LifeStrategy funds, 50% of

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/i...fund_fund_link

and 50% into

To give a 70 / 30 split.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I use Vanguard's FTSE100 ETF, ticker: VUKE

It tracks the FTSE100, really simple. The principle advantage is that because it is so simple, its annual costs are very low - 0.09% per year. For long term investments keeping annual costs low are what count (in addition to investment performance) because the effect on the portfolio of the costs is compounded, the return being x (0.9991)^y where y is the number of years.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/i.../cost-minimums

Comment

For maximum share market diversification I'd go with a global ETF tracker fund such as VWRL/VWRP.

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/i...setf_fund_link

If you prefer less volatiliy (less risk) go with Lifestrategy fund. I'm looking to invest in the Lifestrategy 60% Equity.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy2020 View Post
          Hi,
          I am planning to invest £40k in vanguard pension funds. Can you please give some suggestions as what are the best funds to invest. I am 46 and not looking to take out money for at least 11 years (mandatory 57 years). Don't mind taking bit of risk but looking for good returns and investment in diversified sectors/markets. Links to compare would also help.
          Out of the three pension funds I "invested" two ended up with zero funds in 2002 and the third retuned half what I invested. However, all property I bought has exceeded expectations. Never trust anyone with your hard earned money.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Out of the three pension funds I "invested" two ended up with zero funds in 2002 and the third retuned half what I invested. However, all property I bought has exceeded expectations. Never trust anyone with your hard earned money.
            That was a long time ago. Sounds like you didn't invest in simple global diversified and low cost funds or ETFs.

Most people have huge financial exposure to UK property through their own home and their BTL portfolios.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

On the other hand I am up nearly 500% on my pension funds whilst my property may have gone up about 20% in 10 years if I am lucky. Different situations for each of us.

IMHO you ain't going to earn much in property going forwards and the sheer hassle of buy to rent is not worth it anymore. You would be better off investing in the cloud giants ... Amazon and Microsoft. Basically in 10 years all software will be run in the cloud. I am expecting a big stock market correction in the next 2 years and even then I would wager that in 10 years time Amazon will still be worth a lot more than it is now and more than the return you will get from property.

As a matter of interest may I ask what funds you invested in because you were pretty damn unlucky there.
              Last edited by mogga71; 10 May 2021, 11:47.

Comment

Wow, mental note, don't ask Paddy for investment advice. Notwithstanding a few shockers like Woodford and a few blips along the way, stocks have been on a tear since 2008, so you couldn't really have failed to make massive gains unless you were very, very poorly diversified or are the sort of person that "invested" in timeshares in the 80s/90s.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy2020 View Post
                  Hi,
                  You want good returns for low risk? I think you may be in for a bit of a shock.

If you want pensions advice, your best best is to go with a qualified independent pensions adviser, not a bunch of (mostly) IT contractors. Ask 10 people on here for an opinion, and you'll get 11 opinions back!

Good luck.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Our resident investment expert scooty is missing in action.
                    He would have given some great tips.

Comment

Working...
                    X