• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bank Holiday Deckchair vol. DXCII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bank Holiday Deckchair vol. DXCII

Raining steadily here, and I assume everywhere else, preventing your outdoor Bank Holiday fun. But staying in and wasting your time reading stuff on the Internet should be second nature to you by now
    • ‘I’d Never Been Involved in Anything as Secret as This’ - ”The plan to kill Osama bin Laden—from the spycraft to the assault to its bizarre political backdrop—as told by the people in the room.” Fascinating oral history of the historic mission that successfully concluded ten years ago this past weekend.
    • Weird viral DNA spills secrets to biologists - ”‘Alien’ genomes can be found on Earth. Some viruses that infect bacteria use an alternative genetic alphabet that’s distinct from the code used by nearly all other organisms — and, now, two teams have spelt out how the system works.” Turns out it isn't all about A, T, C, and G
    • The Rise and Fall of a Double Agent - ”Cameron Ortis was an RCMP officer privy to the inner workings of Canada's national security—and in a prime position to exploit them.” Ortis was involved with the people who ran Phantom Secure, the encrypted cellphone system used by organised crime.
    • Trucks Get Parked Over Air Force Nuclear Missile Silos During Tests… Just In Case - When testing nuclear launch procedures, you don't want one getting out by accident, but in case one does, put a lorry in the way: ”It may seem bizarre and even redundant, but the semi-truck barrier serves as the very last safety precaution against an accidental launch.”
    • The 100 Best, Worst, and Strangest Sherlock Holmes Portrayals of All-Time, Ranked - The results of an exhaustive search through depictions of the great detective on film and TV, including Bernie Winters and Schnorbitz at 97: ”The incomprehensible English trivia game show 3-2-1 had a “Sherlock Holmes” episode which also featured a clip in which actors played Holmes and Watson… Holmes is a large, wheezing man who owns a Saint Bernard and is bad at realizing Watson is talking instead of the dog. I’m sorry, did you expect better Holmesian content from a television show whose co-host is, and I’m not even joking, a robot garbage can?”
      Bernie Winters in an armchair dressed as Sherlock Holmes, smoking a Meerschaum pipe, with his St. Bernard dog Schnorbitz sitting in front of him.

• Chasing the Sun - ”The extraordinary story of two Pacific voyages of discovery a thousand years apart.” Thor Heyerdahl famously sailed the Pacific on his balsa wood raft Kon-Tiki, but it's only recently that scientists have been able to reach any conclusions over the possible validity of his assertion that South Americans had done the same long before.
    • The Secrets of the World's Greatest Jailbreak Artist - ”Master criminal Rédoine Faïd loved the movies, and his greatest crimes were laced with tributes: to Point Break, Heat, and Reservoir Dogs. When he landed in a maximum-security prison, cinema provided inspiration once again.”
    • Inspiral Web - In the dark days of the 1960s, before the idea of having fun was invented, kids played with the Spirograph instead. Now you can relive those simpler times with this online implementation by Nathan Friend
    • The man who thought orgasms could save the world - The story of Wilhelm Reich: ”Do orgasms prevent illness? In fact, are orgasms linked not just to the well-being of the human body but to the health of the body politic? Are they intrinsically anti-fascist? Can they prevent totalitarianism? These were the radical ideas of a maverick psychoanalyst who had a profound influence on popular culture.”
    • The Story of the Cover: The Iconic Op-Art Designs for Fontana Modern Masters, 1971 - ”Then in 1968, students in Paris rioted and nearly brought the city, if not the country, to the brink of revolutionary change. [Frank] Kermode pushed his idea again. The series would be a collection of what Kermode termed Modern Masters who have enabled many of the ideas that were changing society… [Fontana’s art director John Constable] attended the opening of an Op-Art exhibition where he saw geometric abstract work by artist Oliver Bevan. Constable had found his artist. He commissioned Bevan to create a painting which could be shared across a set of book covers like pieces of a jigsaw. Once all ten books were collected together, their covers created a tessellated pattern of Bevan’s painting Cascade.” By coincidence, or maybe synchronicity, I found this post just after the one above about Reich; and guess which is the only one of these Fontana Modern Masters books I own? Yes, it's Reich by Charles Rycroft
    Cover of 'Reich' by Charles Rycroft, with part of an op-art painting as the background image.

Happy invoicing!

Number one slot for Sherlock Holmes should have gone to Vasily Livanov (Russia). I have watched the entire series.

"In 2006, Her Majesty Elizabeth II, gave Vasily Livanov an order of the British Empire (OBE) for “the most convincing portrayal of Holmes in world cinema.”

https://www.rbth.com/articles/2013/0..._uk_21483.html

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Number one slot for Sherlock Holmes should have gone to Vasily Livanov (Russia). I have watched the entire series.

"In 2006, Her Majesty Elizabeth II, gave Vasily Livanov an order of the British Empire (OBE) for “the most convincing portrayal of Holmes in world cinema.”

https://www.rbth.com/articles/2013/0..._uk_21483.html
      Is the series online anywhere?

I still think Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce were the best, even with their tiresome but in the circs understandable wartime homilies at the end of their films.

Jeremy Brett and his sidekick were a close second, but unfortunately their blurry made-for-TV series are unwatchable now, for me anyway.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I found this: СОБАКА БАСКЕРВИЛЕЙ . Приключения Шерлока Холмса и доктора Ватсона (советский сериал HD) - YouTube which Google Translate assures me means DOG BASKERVILLE. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (Soviet TV series HD)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I found this: СОБАКА БАСКЕРВИЛЕЙ . Приключения Шерлока Холмса и доктора Ватсона (советский сериал HD) - YouTube which Google Translate assures me means DOG BASKERVILLE. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (Soviet TV series HD)
          how come David Jason's in it?????

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            • ‘I’d Never Been Involved in Anything as Secret as This’ - ”The plan to kill Osama bin Laden—from the spycraft to the assault to its bizarre political backdrop—as told by the people in the room.” Fascinating oral history of the historic mission that successfully concluded ten years ago this past weekend.

Very interesting article. It just shows that even the most powerful people in the world (the US President, cabinet, and heads of the military) can feel afraid and insecure, when the stakes are high enough, just like the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
            X