• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dail Fail headlines getting harder to read

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dail Fail headlines getting harder to read

I pride myself on being able to parse most English sentences and headlines that follow the rules of grammar, but this Mail Online headline defeated me:

2021-04-30 Woman who was 'raped by Philip Roth biographer' reveals he taught said when she was 12 and after the sex attack said 'you really can't blame me, I've wanted you since the day we met'

It's the middle part that makes no sense, whichever way you look at it "reveals he taught said"
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

You're absolutely right. It's gibberish. Much like the content of the Fail on a Daily basis

Comment

Yes, but does reading it give you cancer?

We should be told!
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Woman who was 'raped by Philip Roth biographer' reveals (that) he (the Philip Roth biographer) taught said (woman), when she was 12, and after the sex attack (on her). said 'you really can't blame me, I've wanted you since the day we met'

HTH.

But yes, it's astonishingly badly written - even if technically correct English.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Woman who was 'raped by Philip Roth biographer' reveals (that) he (the Philip Roth biographer) taught said (woman), when she was 12, and after the sex attack (on her). said 'you really can't blame me, I've wanted you since the day we met'

HTH.

But yes, it's astonishingly badly written - even if technically correct English.
          Yes, that makes sense. Kudos for an amazing feat of parsing!

Would have been a lot easier if "said (woman)" had just been expressed as "her"
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X