• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yr Wyddfa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im all for one calling people by the proper names in their proper language. What's the Welsh for 'Sheep Shaggers'?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Im all for one calling people by the proper names in their proper language. What's the Welsh for 'Sheep Shaggers'?
      Something like "anwybodaeth hiliol" at a guess.

HTH
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Welsh is a very unique language. Most European languages have quite a bit in common, go to Croatia and you can guess what some signs mean, but Welsh is totally incomprehensible.
        The funniest thing was when an English road sign civil servant had to phone a Welsh professor to ask to translate a road sign into Welsh, and now there is a village in Wales called in Gaelic "I'm away from my desk at the moment, please leave your message after the bleep".
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

What is idiotic about asking why we subsidise people that actively dislike us, its not like it has improved anything?
          Is that any different to Londoners asking why they should subsidise the North?

We're all part of the same country. Some parts don't like other parts. Get over it.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Tell 'em to stick it up Yr Wyddfa
            Someone's in need of a cwtsh today

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Is that any different to Londoners asking why they should subsidise the North?

We're all part of the same country. Some parts don't like other parts. Get over it.
              Its a valid question, why is the North not as prosperous as London, there are few impassable reasons.

However areas such as Scotland and Wales that receive a bigger share of the tax take whilst overall contributing less should quite reasonably be asked to up their game so they contribute more equally.

I don't have a problem with people based on their nationality or culture but on their contribution to society. These people hate me because I am English.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I don't have a problem with people based on their nationality or culture but on their contribution to society. These people hate me because I am English.
                Based on your comments to date, I don't think that's the reason...

However it's difficult to make a major contribution to the national economy when all your infrastructure is confined to a narrow corridor in the extreme South of the country. There's a fabulous deep-sea harbour at Milford Haven that can take half-million tonne ships and makes Felixstowe look like a marina. It's joined to the rest of the UK by a winding two lane A road. Forty miles later, you get to a dual carriageway. Another 30 miles or so and you reach the M4.

As for the rest of Wales, there are two major north-south connections and no West-East ones. Hence a predominantly agrarian economy.
                Last edited by malvolio; 30 April 2021, 09:56.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Its a valid question, why is the North not as prosperous as London, there are few impassable reasons.

However areas such as Scotland and Wales that receive a bigger share of the tax take whilst overall contributing less should quite reasonably be asked to up their game so they contribute more equally.

Or .. they may have met you, or the very least seen your postings on here. Just saying

Comment

So you don't think the regions should contribute as best they can?

Do you think regions should take more money for decades because they don't earn enough for themselves?

As they have actually said they hate the English my logic seems sound. I'm not that important that the whole of wales or Scotland know to hate me!
                    Last edited by vetran; 30 April 2021, 11:22.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      Based on your comments to date, I don't think that's the reason...

However it's difficult to make a major contribution to the national economy when all your infrastructure is confined to a narrow corridor in the extreme South of the country. There's a fabulous deep-sea harbour at Milford Haven that can take half-million tonne ships and makes Felixstowe look like a marina. It's joined to the rest of the UK by a winding two lane A road. Forty miles later, you get to a dual carriageway. Another 30 miles or so and you reach the M4.

As for the rest of Wales, there are two major north-south connections and no West-East ones. Hence a predominantly agrarian economy.
                      And the Welsh government have made representations to change this?

Comment

Working...
                      X