• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“The push for a divisive referendum is simply irresponsible,” the UK government said

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“The push for a divisive referendum is simply irresponsible,” the UK government said

Former UK spy chief warns Johnson over Scottish referendum refusal

UK prime minister has ruled out a second vote even if a pro-independence majority is elected to Holyrood next month

Some in Johnson’s Conservative party have suggested he should approve a second referendum only with conditions that would make a vote for independence less likely, such as requiring a larger majority to pass.

The UK government declined to comment in detail on Martin’s report, saying people in Scotland wanted to see London and the devolved administration working together “now, more than ever”. “The push for a divisive referendum is simply irresponsible,” the UK government said. “It is a distraction, when we need to focus on continuing to tackle the pandemic and rebuilding our economy.”

https://www.ft.com/content/1fe4924c-...f-f4b49c3d6c63

I wonder if, should a second "once in a lifetime" referendum go ahead and the result is for the Union, will the SNP then say in a couple of years' time that another unforseeable event has occurred that means they should be allowed another bite at the cherry?

It seems that the SNP will continue to cry foul play until they get what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I wonder if, should a second "once in a lifetime" referendum go ahead and the result is for the Union, will the SNP then say in a couple of years' time that another unforseeable event has occurred that means they should be allowed another bite at the cherry?

It seems that the SNP will continue to cry foul play until they get what they want.
      That's why the UK government should push for one with a clear majority being for.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Let 'em have it.

Comment

A smarter way would be to get mandate from Scottish voters to start preparing everything for re-joining EU so that when time comes for referendum it's all ready to go thus making decision a lot easier.

Comment

The SNP hold 47/58 seats in Westminster.
            Pro Independence parties are in the majority in the Scottish Parliament, have been for ten years and will be for the next five years at least.

Like it or not, they can call for whatever they like, because they are in power. If you want that to stop, vote them out.

Stop following the Boris Johnson 'once in a lifetime' line. That was said by Alex Salmond during a TV interview where the point of discussion was countries who have gained their independence via wars etc. It was never part of a manifesto or a proposal put to the electorate.

Do you ever try to hold any other politicians to public statements made outside parliament ? Off the top of my head I can think of "There will categorically be no customs checks or borders in the Irish sea", "My relationship with Jennifer Arcuri was on a professional level only", "UK fishermen will have exclusive access to UK territorial waters", "Dominic Cummings was not at Barnard Castle", "Our trding arrangements with the EU will not change", "All the emergency Covid procurement contracts have been published' etc etc etc etc
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

The SNP hold 47/58 seats in Westminster.
              Pro Independence parties are in the majority in the Scottish Parliament, have been for ten years and will be for the next five years at least.

Like it or not, they can call for whatever they like, because they are in power. If you want that to stop, vote them out.

Stop following the Boris Johnson 'once in a lifetime' line. That was said by Alex Salmond during a TV interview where the point of discussion was countries who have gained their independence via wars etc. It was never part of a manifesto or a proposal put to the electorate.

Do you ever try to hold any other politicians to public statements made outside parliament ? Off the top of my head I can think of "There will categorically be no customs checks or borders in the Irish sea", "My relationship with Jennifer Arcuri was on a professional level only", "UK fishermen will have exclusive access to UK territorial waters", "Dominic Cummings was not at Barnard Castle", "Our trding arrangements with the EU will not change", "All the emergency Covid procurement contracts have been published' etc etc etc etc
              I refer the honourable gentleman to Mme Sturgeon's own opinion. But, as she didn't say it in Parliament then it means nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-24147303

Comment

I refer the honourable gentleman to Mme Sturgeon's own opinion. But, as she didn't say it in Parliament then it means nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-24147303
                Is opinion now legally binding?

What if there are different contradictory opinions?

Sturgeon will leave sooner or later, but question of independence won’t - ever.

Frankly after B...t (leaving the Union on the basis of 52-48 referendum) it’s offensive to disallow Scotland run new referendum - best chance for UK is allow it and just agree legally binding minimum period before next can be proposed, and that’s where “once in a generation” could be put on signed paper
                Last edited by AtW; 14 April 2021, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Is opinion now legally binding?

What if there are different contradictory opinions?

Sturgeon will leave sooner or later, but question of independence won’t - ever.

Frankly after B...t (leaving the Union on the basis of 52-48 referendum) it’s offensive to disallow Scotland run new referendum - best chance for UK is allow it and just agree legally binding minimum period before next can be proposed, and that’s where “once in a generation” could be put on signed paper
                  My point was that Sturgeon and Salmond have both said it was a once in a lifetime vote. Except it isn't because something came along that they didn't like the outcome of.

I personally don't care but I would love to see Sturgeon's bluff called.

100% stand on your own two feet independence. Scotland will be poorer than Greece within a decade.

Comment

Actually, this is a rather interesting article that does support the case for a second referendum

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...e-opportunity/

Comment

Working...
                    X