• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are cheap wines really made from grapes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    Try the Sainsburys TTTD one. Currently on Special at £6
    That's about it's true worth!
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      You can pick up a decent wine in Germany for £3, all local. I've never drunk a good wine in the UK.
      Camel Valley white wine. Excellent stuff from Cornwall. Their sparkling white is fantastic with a nice fruit de mer platter when you're down that part of the world too.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        My big worry is added sugar, because I really don't want to think I am drinking alcoholic equivalent of coca cola!
        When sugar is added, it's added to the grape must. This just makes the final product more alcoholic.

It's hard to find data, but I understand that four pints of 5% alcohol beer has fewer calories than half a pint of 40% whisky.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          When sugar is added, it's added to the grape must. This just makes the final product more alcoholic.

It's hard to find data, but I understand that four pints of 5% alcohol beer has fewer calories than half a pint of 40% whisky.
          Sure, I'm not worried about sugar added at the start of the process, if this is mostly converted to alcohol during fermentation.

But I do have a major problem if so much is deliberately added that there will be significant excess sugar left over in the final product or, worse still, adding sugar at the end, with the aim in both cases being to convert sour gut rot into something superficially more palatable!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Originally posted by OwlHoot

My lower limit is around £8, although I'll use cheaper ones in casseroles.
            What's wrong with casseroles?

Comment

Poor wines in casseroles = poor casseroles. Always use the finest ingredients in any food.

OwlHoot - so far as I know, there are no sweetened wines in the way you imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Poor wines in casseroles = poor casseroles. Always use the finest ingredients in any food.

OwlHoot - so far as I know, there are no sweetened wines in the way you imagine.
                Did a bit of digging, and it seems the practice of adding sugar to the must up front is called "chaptalization".

And adding sugar at the end is called "back sweetening". Apparently it is usually more trouble than it is worth, because if one isn't careful it restarts fermentation!

Comment

Interesting. So buy a bottle of cheap wine, add sugar and it may turn out well...

Comment

And if you run out of sugar, then diethylene glycol will stand in at a pinch.

As it did back in those dear dead days beyond recall.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      You can pick up a decent wine in Germany for £3, all local. I've never drunk a good wine in the UK.
                      I studied for a year in Germany and used to go to "Weinfetes" that wine growers organised at their estates, you paid 5DEM at entry, they gave you a one litre glass (which you were allowed to keep and take home) and filled it up for 1DEM a go. Problem was how to get home, no one was in any state to drive and taxis wouldn't take you in fear you would vomit in the car from door to door

Comment

Working...
                      X