• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isa 2020/21

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isa 2020/21

Don't know about you guys, but I made shed loads on my S&S ISA last year (just over £50k). And the markets are still going up. At this rate I'll be able to retire and live off my ISA tax free returns

Probably helped that I bought in low and ignored Scooty's advice to sell as the market was going to bomb to 4500 I wonder how many listened to him (not that anyone will admit it) and sold some funds only to have to buy in at a higher price?

Roll on this new tax year and more growth ... what's not to like
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Well done that man.

Good luck in coming year, retirement in luxury is closer than you think. Keep investing!
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

This time next year we’ll be ISA millionaires...

Comment

I did too although not by dint of actually doing anything, my portfolio just happened to be very solid I guess. I remember being worried at the start of all this and it had dropped a bit, but IIRC up about 30-35% on the year. Seeing it gain an extra digit was nice.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          And the markets are still going up. ...
          Roll on this new tax year and more growth ...
          No they're not. You can't conclude from the fact that you've had a period of price rises that prices will continue to rise. There's no correlation between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            No they're not. You can't conclude from the fact that you've had a period of price rises that prices will continue to rise. There's no correlation between the two.
            Who's the mood-hoover? I had returns over 30% last year, I expect the same this year

FTSE up another 0.8% today ... that's another £2k tax free growth

To quote Yazz, the only way up, baby ....

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I did too although not by dint of actually doing anything, my portfolio just happened to be very solid I guess. I remember being worried at the start of all this and it had dropped a bit, but IIRC up about 30-35% on the year. Seeing it gain an extra digit was nice.
              Same here. All we did was transfer from cash to S&S ISA back in March last year and sat and watched the markets wobble before flying up.

Clearly markets are not going to grow at same rate this tax year, but 5%+ would be welcome given how crap the bank rates are for cash

Or we could all gamble on the market dropping back to 4500

Comment

Stock market only goes up, this is the new normal...

Comment

It's true that you'd need to have been a massive cretin to have been invested in S&S and not made a lot of money in last year.

Just need to bear in mind that this isn't "normal". It may seem that way if you've been invested in, say, the S&P500 over the last decade, but it really isn't.

Still, I think I've consistently made the most money during crashes - that's when to pile in. Worst case scenario is more like the FTSE 100 between 2017 and 2020, i.e., flatlining. Bring on the next crash... what's your prediction, scootie?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    This time next year we’ll be ISA millionaires...
                    Maybe the year after ... let's not be too silly

Comment

Working...
                    X