• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Santander closing 111 branches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Santander closing 111 branches

https://news.sky.com/story/santander...-jobs-12256110

Santander UK says it is to cut 111 branches amid a customer drive towards online banking but it expects to retain a "significant" number of the staff affected.
    The lender said its decision - aided by COVID-19 disruption - would be implemented by the end of August and leave it with 452 high street sites.

It follows an industry trend over many years that has seen banks move to cut costs and invest in their digital offerings.
    The company charted a 33% fall in branch transactions in the two years before the virus crisis.
    It reported a further decline of 50% during 2020.

Santander was unable, at this stage, to confirm how many jobs had been placed at risk under the branch shake-up.
    Its plans included a major cutback in its office space requirements, which it said was based on staff feedback related to working from home during the pandemic.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Looks like there is gonna be a boom in cocktail bars and posh eateries coming.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Looks like there is gonna be a boom in cocktail bars and posh eateries coming.
      I was involved in moving one bank to service centres back in the 90s instead of getting a changeable but sometimes personalised experience by phoning the branch you got to talk to a group of telephone trained staff who were monitored to provide a predictable experience. They wanted to centralise & reduce the staff but keep many branches for sales and deposits.

Obviously they are at the point now when they believe that they don't need them anymore.

Its a bit odd as Metro opened a branch on the a355 years ago and the car park is normally busy with expensive cars. MIL and her rich friends use it as they want to go into a branch.

Maybe move out of town and allow people a chance to go to a branch when needed.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a Metro Bank personal account because it is so much easier to go into a branch and get a new card. I've found them very good a dealing with issues as they know you will just turn up and do so repeatedly unless they sort them.

In the past I had cards not turn up in the post plus had a new card cancelled by mistake by bank staff with my old card due to fraud on the old card with a different number.

Comment

What are Spanish banks doing here anyway?
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            making money?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Taking our jobs
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I have a Metro Bank personal account because it is so much easier to go into a branch and get a new card.
                You will not like it, but I had some small part to play in that process

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
                  Make Metro great again?

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
                    What stealing my bank cards in the post?

Comment

Working...
                    X