• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Red Tape and Paperwork Whine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Tape and Paperwork Whine

So for a 3-month initial inside (grrr) role. I've been sent 12 sheets of A4 in a word doc to fill out by the agency! Realistically it's going to take a couple of hours to fill out things in the most basic way.

I'm asked for last 5 year's worth of companies with contacts (even although at least one doesn't exist anymore!) and employment gaps of 28 days or more "to be explained" and detailed answers to how the umbrella works.

Admittedly this is in security and I had a similar pain with an investment bank a few years back so it might just be the industry sector but I'm sure things never used to be this bad 10-15 years old?

Are agencies more risk-adverse in the post IR35 changes, are they collecting details of past employers for leads, or are things just bonkers?

Probably all of those.

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
      So for a 3-month initial inside (grrr) role. I've been sent 12 sheets of A4 in a word doc to fill out by the agency! Realistically it's going to take a couple of hours to fill out things in the most basic way.

I'm asked for last 5 year's worth of companies with contacts (even although at least one doesn't exist anymore!) and employment gaps of 28 days or more "to be explained" and detailed answers to how the umbrella works.

Admittedly this is in security and I had a similar pain with an investment bank a few years back so it might just be the industry sector but I'm sure things never used to be this bad 10-15 years old?

Are agencies more risk-adverse in the post IR35 changes, are they collecting details of past employers for leads, or are things just bonkers?

Smells like the agent is trying to trawl for contacts as the market is quiet for them.

Just put down "HR" for the contact. That's what I always do. If questioned by the agency just tell them it's the policy of the client that all refs must go through HR Then the form is pretty much like your CV
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

If you got the roles through an agency put the agency down. They should have a record that you worked on a particular assignment for a company.

If you got the roles direct then you should put the HR of the company down. Most companies have a policy that only HR are allowed to give references and they tend to just be dates.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Let's face it, without hiring managers on the form, they are just going to drop it in the bin anyway.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

every role in 5 years sounds like an SC application.
            Obviously this isn't an SC application but that's the only time I've ever been asked for that much detail
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

S
              Are agencies more risk-adverse
              Averse.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                Let's face it, without hiring managers on the form, they are just going to drop it in the bin anyway.
                If that was true I would have absolutely no work ever....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X