• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

City braced for bombshell raid on Middle England's pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since COVID struck the starkest division in society looks more like the public sector vs. the private sector (and their supporters).

I'm very worried for the future now; people have lost their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Not really. My lad's at uni and half his mates are convinced they'll "walk" into £50k+ per year jobs and nice semi-detached houses in leafy suburbs. There's zero expectation management done at education establishments because they don't live in the real world.
      That might be true, but how different really is this generation than the ones before? Banging on about how useless the next generation is is just something we do once we hit our forties. Plus remember, if they are truly useless then it is arguably our fault!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        Since COVID struck the starkest division in society looks more like the public sector vs. the private sector (and their supporters).

I'm very worried for the future now; people have lost their minds.
        Is it? It seems more the different divisions of Labour voters going at each other because they are in denial about who cost them the 2019 GE and result in blaming each other. Probably one of the side-effects of living in the north.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

So given that we are now in this so called "tax day" when and how do we get to find out if the gov is yet again going to shaft middle england's pensions? Seems to be endless media hype about today online but no actuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
            So given that we are now in this so called "tax day" when and how do we get to find out if the gov is yet again going to shaft middle england's pensions? Seems to be endless media hype about today online but no actuals.
            You're not going to see any policy announcements today. It's technical stuff and consultations. Should be available via gov.uk.

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ns-spring-2021

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

That might be true, but how different really is this generation than the ones before? Banging on about how useless the next generation is is just something we do once we hit our forties. Plus remember, if they are truly useless then it is arguably our fault!
                My lad's useful at DIY and can cook. It's the education system that's become a problem every since more kids were encouraged to go to uni than should have been and league tables were introduced. They're now sold on a graduate job like it's a lottery win rather than starting two rungs off the bottom. League tables have just forced teachers to show kids how to pass exams rather than how to learn in general as well as learning the subject at hand. The last six months of school is pretty much spent practicing past papers and getting to resubmit coursework (WTAF is that all about by the way???)
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  why don't they just take all our income and give us a living allowance

When HMRC was doing its sham consultation before introducing RTI, one proposal was to have employers send all gross pay to HMRC so Hector could pass on what he thought we should get.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

The last six months of school is pretty much spent practicing past papers
                    We did this at my school, an average State Comprehensive. In 1979.

Comment

Thanks JB!

Just had a read through. Nothing in there that tallies with this thread so looking good. I did notice this which made me chuckle, Basically they released the findings ahead of the private sector reform by all of a few days before it hit home. Oh and they haven't actually completed it. Smacks of sorry sir my homework is late and only part done, the dog ate it, honestly sir..

2.4 Off- - payroll working rules – The government is publishing external research
                      into the impact of the 2017 public sector reform of the off-payroll working
                      rules on the education sector and on employment agencies. This follows a
                      commitment to commission research into the long-term effects of the
                      reform in the public sector, and publish the findings ahead of the
                      introduction of the reform in the private and voluntary sectors in April 2021.

Due to pressures from the COVID-19 pandemic, the response rate from
                      some parts of the public sector was too low to produce robust quantitative
                      results, so these parts of the research were paused. The government intends
                      to publish further research later in 2021.

Comment

Working...
                      X