• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Don't forget to complete your 2021 Census this weekend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Was I the only one thinking they had hidden some IR35 questions in the census? First are you freelancer and then they started asking about jobtitle and do you supervise people
    Not sure about IR35 but it definitely seemed to be overreaching it's scope. Started asking questions about the heating system in my home. Surely census is about people and even then I thought it was really just counting, gender and ages.

I'm super wary this is all a part of a giant gov led profiling exercise being carried out in the background...

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post

Not sure about IR35 but it definitely seemed to be overreaching it's scope. Started asking questions about the heating system in my home. Surely census is about people and even then I thought it was really just counting, gender and ages.

I'm super wary this is all a part of a giant gov led profiling exercise being carried out in the background...
      You know you can look why they ask particular questions plus why questions are worded in a particular way?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/census/census...interventions.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The tin foil hats come out every decade for the census. As someone who has been digging around my family tree, census records have been really useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          The tin foil hats come out every decade for the census. As someone who has been digging around my family tree, census records have been really useful.
          Never understood why people are so interested in their family tree as it is virtually always along one line (that of the father, their father, their father etc) No one does the actual family tree which goes up times 2 every generation, grandparents 4 people great grand parents 8 great great grand parents 16 great great great grandparents 32 etc, you have a roughly equal amount of genes from all of these (Assuming no inbreeding)

Comment

Never understood why people are so interested in their family tree as it is virtually always along one line (that of the father, their father, their father etc) No one does the actual family tree which goes up times 2 every generation, grandparents 4 people great grand parents 8 great great grand parents 16 great great great grandparents 32 etc, you have a roughly equal amount of genes from all of these (Assuming no inbreeding)
            If you have seen "Who Do You Think You Are" people try to find the most interesting person/people in their family tree.

As most women in centuries gone by didn't really do anything interesting that was recorded apart from having lots of children, then most people just look at their paternal lines. However I do know and have met people who look at their maternal line as it is more interesting e.g. some woman was the person who emigrated to the UK at a particular time and met their grandfather/great x3 grandfather.

Comment

(Assuming no inbreeding)
              says Hari from Staphorst

Comment

They have sent me a £10 gift card to take part in a telephone survey
                I will spend the card money and block their number

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

They can phone for a paper version of the form to be sent out.
                  It seems that some households are receiving the paper copies whilst others are not.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

It seems that some households are receiving the paper copies whilst others are not.
                    They do have statistics of broadband take up by postcode. So it makes sense to only give some areas paper copies, and not bother with others where most people have broadband.

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post

Interesting take on the questions regarding knowledge of Welsh, which I guess won't appear outside Wales. There used to be questions along the lines of rudimentary, competent and fluent, but not this time. I would guess that many would give negative answers now and such entries would be taken as non Welsh speakers and thus a distorted picture might emerge. Such answers could very well influence government policy in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X