• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car battery - Trickle Charger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

it's not for charging from empty. it's for maintaining full charge on an already charged battery.
    and it's a <>£30 black mat on the parcel shelf, not worth nicking.
    People will nick anything...

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...-anything.html

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I've had a bit of a poke about and it would seem the 12v sockets (I have two) inside the car may not remain live when the ignition is off so I'm looking at having to trail cables from under the bonnet to inside the car. Not sure how to achieve that and not end up with a car full of water after the next downpour.
      They mostly have OBD connectors too. so all inside.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

They mostly have OBD connectors too. so all inside.
        Ah... I wasn't sure what that was...

I thought maybe that was a new fangled thing which my old jalopy wouldn't have.

Much obliged, now I've got (a bit) more of a clue, I shall resume my poking about.

Comment

I've got an AA one which is OBD and the connector is in the drivers footwell on my car so no need for anything to go outside at all.....Worked well in the first lockdown when I wasn't using the car at all for months...I was genuinely surprised when it started first time

Comment

Originally posted by Spellbinder View Post
            I've got an AA one which is OBD and the connector is in the drivers footwell on my car so no need for anything to go outside at all.....Worked well in the first lockdown when I wasn't using the car at all for months...I was genuinely surprised when it started first time
            Ah I read a review of that, good to know.

Comment

They did two (or they did at the time) and mine is the larger one of the two...I think it was something like a 2.4 and a 4.8 off the top of my head

Comment

Originally posted by Spellbinder View Post
                They did two (or they did at the time) and mine is the larger one of the two...I think it was something like a 2.4 and a 4.8 off the top of my head
                they work better on the parcel shelf i think.

Comment

There's a 1.5W and a 4W panel charging the battery on the DrS motor.

Seems to do the business even in December (shortest period of daylight and cold with it).

I think it puts a couple of hundred milliamps into the battery when it's sunny.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I was wondering what sort of wattage to get. The brand I'm looking at does 10W, 20W, 40W, 60W and 80W versions!

I guess it's about how quickly I want it to charge, or is there any danger from having too high a wattage?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I was wondering what sort of wattage to get. The brand I'm looking at does 10W, 20W, 40W, 60W and 80W versions!

I guess it's about how quickly I want it to charge, or is there any danger from having too high a wattage?
                      I tried a 5W one but it didn't keep the battery charged. Part of the problem was the glass in the car is slightly tinted and that makes a big difference to the output of the panel. If I put the panel outside the car it worked a bit better.

The other thing with solar panels is they only produce decent power in bright sunlight, and in winter in this country...
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X