• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now the swiss ban burqas.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now the swiss ban burqas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-public-places

Campaign ads it paid for showed a woman wearing a niqab and sunglasses alongside the slogan: “Stop extremism! Yes to the veil ban.”
    Wowser makes us apparently "xenophobic" Brits look tame.

Muslims make up around 5% of the Swiss population of 8.6 million, or about 390,000 people, most of whom have their roots in Turkey, Bosnia and Kosovo.

The referendum outcome means Switzerland will follow France, which banned wearing a full face veil in public in 2011. Full or partial bans on wearing face coverings in public are also in place in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The SVP (Schweizer Volk Partei) have a history of racist political adverts. You can google it. They're the ones who put forward this initiative. TBH, I've never seen anyone wearing a full face veil around here, although rich Saudia Arabians love to shop in Geneva and Zürich.

My daughters voted against it. Bleeding heart millenial liberals that they are.

I full expect that the next carnival (Fasnacht) will have people dressed up in burqas. There's exemptions for carnival, and many of the cliques go in for political satire.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      The SVP (Schweizer Volk Partei) have a history of racist political adverts. You can google it. They're the ones who put forward this initiative. TBH, I've never seen anyone wearing a full face veil around here, although rich Saudia Arabians love to shop in Geneva and Zürich.

I full expect that the next carnival (Fasnacht) will have people dressed up in burqas. There's exemptions for carnival, and many of the cliques go in for political satire.
      I expected it wasn't as clear cut as it seems the Swiss always seem practical about things. They probably just want to avoid people robbing banks and escaping justice through passport control in them.

Comment

Amazing. Hope more countries follow suit. Can't believe any rationale human being would put cultural rights above gender equality and women's rights. I definitely don't want to associate with anyone who does.

There are no religious passages that mandate it, covering of the head yes but not the face, that's purely a cultural thing.

Muslims from Turkey, bosnia, and kosova don't wear them anyway and if that's the majority of muslims in switzerland not sure that it will impact any significant population anyway.

These policies are great by the way... when these types of bans are implemented, large percentages of these populations actually do modify what they wear.

Comment

Crazy you would think a liberal would support women's rights above the rights of men who seek to enslave them but i guess modern day liberals have got a lot of tulip backwards these days.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I expected it wasn't as clear cut as it seems the Swiss always seem practical about things. They probably just want to avoid people robbing banks and escaping justice through passport control in them.
            The last part is due to how useless every single part of the Home Office is.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The last part is due to how useless every single part of the Home Office is.
              Quite probably you would have thought someone would have explored the possibility that someone would find a head to toe mask handy to get through passport control or raid a bank.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Nah. It was targeted at Islam. The SVP have history. It's not a one off. The vote was very narrowly in favour.

Comment

Nah. It was targeted at Islam. The SVP have history. It's not a I've off. The vote was very narrowly in favour.
                  Quite interesting to create a law targeting islam that has nothing to do with islam.

You'd think they would target head coverings which are part of islam and actually impact the muslim population living there if they actually were targeting islam.

Comment

It was about Islam as many of the more xenophobic Europeans view the religion, and as the populist SVP are heppy to exploit.

Having said that, on balance I was marginally in favour of it, as was my wife. Even though it means agreeing with Polly Toynbee

Comment

Working...
                    X