• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum Bug Reports

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Does anybody (or everybody) else hate the stupid way it animates scrolling the page down rather than just loading the page and jumping to the correct spot; for example when you've just posted, or when you follow the "last post" or "first unread" links? Because I hate it; it serves no purpose, as the browser knows how to jump to the right spot on the page, and by delaying that jump it makes the site feel slower and clunkier.

It's one of those things that was thought to be "cool" some years ago by a bunch of UX designers at the Big Sites, so they inflicted it on the world and loads of other people copied them because they assumed it must be A Good Thing if those sites were doing it, but nobody does it nowadays because everybody (other than UX designers at the Big Sites) realised straight away that it's just really, really annoying.

It's baked in pretty deeply, but I think I've worked out how to stop it. If there isn't a huge groundswell of support for it, and the powers-that-be approve, I'm going to see if I can get rid of it.
    Yes it is really annoying and, if you can get rid, I'll add a few more beers to those I've already committed to buying you

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      With historic chapters (eg Dead Celebrities) one is taken to page 1, not the latest post. (Annoying, rather than a matter of life and death.)

Agree here -----

We used to have "show posts in reverse order" which is my chosen way to read threads and that is pretty important to me

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post

Agree here -----

We used to have "show posts in reverse order" which is my chosen way to read threads and that is pretty important to me
        At the top of a thread there's two tabs: "Posts" and "Latest Activity". The "Latest Activity" one shows posts in reverse order.

If you want to make that your default view to save having to click on it each time, go to your Control Panel, select the "Account" tab, and scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options" > "Display mode", select the "Latest Activity" radio button, then scroll down to the bottom and hit the "Save Changes" button.

It's probably not been tested as much either by me or by the vBulletin developers, so if you encounter any problems with it, post them here

Comment

At the top of a thread there's two tabs: "Posts" and "Latest Activity". The "Latest Activity" one shows posts in reverse order.

If you want to make that your default view to save having to click on it each time, go to your Control Panel, select the "Account" tab, and scroll down to "Conversation Detail Options" > "Display mode", select the "Latest Activity" radio button, then scroll down to the bottom and hit the "Save Changes" button.

It's probably not been tested as much either by me or by the vBulletin developers, so if you encounter any problems with it, post them here
          Cheers will give it a test forthwith

Comment

New bug!

Discovered on AtW's "official budget 2021 thread". When clicking like on a post that has been liked by someone else (specifically one posted by Whorty and already liked by AtW) I got the following error message:

Clicking like on a post that hasn't previously been liked is working fine.

It's probably linked to AtW's account

EDIT: must have been some transient nonsense going on, the issue appears to have gone away. I'm still blaming AtW.
            Last edited by ladymuck; 27 February 2021, 09:31.

Comment

I've also noticed you can't add a title to a post anymore. Not a heavily used feature of the previous forum but it had a usefulness in drawing attention to stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I was about to post that number of likes I get dropped a little bit

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I've also noticed you can't add a title to a post anymore. Not a heavily used feature of the previous forum but it had a usefulness in drawing attention to stuff.
                  Yes, I need to investigate why they removed that feature. I don't think restoring it would break anything, but I'll make sure first

Comment

Yes, I need to investigate why they removed that feature. I don't think restoring it would break anything, but I'll make sure first
                    Should probably bring back the "icon for this post" feature at the same time.

Comment

'mark forums read' appears to work, until you then select 'todays posts' if logged out, or 'new posts' when logged in.
                      everything comes back in bold <unread>.
                      so it's lying.

Comment

Working...
                      X