• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC denies misleading MPs over tax avoidance by its contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC denies misleading MPs over tax avoidance by its contractors

“ Commons report claimed tax agency put its reputation ‘ahead of telling the truth’ about loan arrangement schemes

A group of MPs has accused HM Revenue & Customs of “misleading” a parliamentary committee, and possibly breaking the civil service code, by withholding “embarrassing” information about how it had engaged at least 15 contractors who used tax avoidance schemes while working for the tax agency.

In a report on Wednesday, the all-party group of MPs and peers claimed that HMRC had put the management of its reputation “ahead of telling the truth”“

HMRC denies misleading MPs over tax avoidance by its contractors | HMRC | The Guardian

Just the start. Wait until Loan Charge Legal gets going.

I am a but surprised the guardian takes the side of "tax evading scum".

Comment

Possibly I am mistaken but my understanding of the loan charge schemes are that the money is paid to a third party frequently abroad that then loans the contractor the money, the debt eventually gets written off so you bypass tax as the money is not earnings. The money never goes to an organisation directly linked to the contractor.

So HMRC must have known who they were paying and why?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So HMRC must have known who they were paying and why?
        I presume most/all of the contractors were through agencies. So HMRC paid a uk based agent.

Plausible deniability init.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          I presume most/all of the contractors were through agencies. So HMRC paid a uk based agent.

Plausible deniability init.
          And I bet their contracts were outside.

Comment

Working...
          X