• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Musings on impeachment trial in US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musings on impeachment trial in US

It seems to me this situation has certain vague similarites to Ancient Rome in the 50s BC, although of course there are big differences.

Towards he end of his stint as governor of southern Gaul, during which he conquered the whole of Gaul (modern day France), Julius Caesar's enemies in Rome ordered him to disband his army and return to Rome, where they were waiting to put him on trial and disqualify him from public office (at the very least - They would almost certainly have also had him killed).

That is what led him to march his legions back into Italy across the river Rubicon, which was one of Italy's northern borders, and led to the civil war which he later won.

I don't know all the ins and outs of what led to the conflict, and whether his opponents could have avoided all the trouble with a more conciliatory attitude, or whether Caesar's ambition was indeed all consuming and they had no choice but to try and take him down.

But it seems quite possible they could have compromised, and assured his safety, and that it would have been much smarter to try instead of doubling down on their inflexible, vindictive pursuit of legal action against Caesar, just as the stupid Democrats are doing today with Trump!

Not suggesting Trump is comparable to Caesar, although there are certain similarities such as both being populists and rabble rousers, but just pointing out what seems an instructive parallel to the situation the Yanks find themselves in today.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Situation is not similar because Ceasar did not have Fox News.

Comment

Caesar was murdered to stop him proclaiming himself emperor of a state that had only recently turned turfed out its royalty and become republican.

Trump is being attacked for blatantly illegal acts and for failing as a president

Although they were/are both narcissistic bullies.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Let's not throw any stones

Comment

Towards he end of his stint as governor of southern Gaul, during which he conquered the whole of Gaul
          Well, not entirely... One small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders. And life is not easy for the Roman legionaries who garrison the fortified camps of Totorum, Aquarium, Laudanum and Compendium...
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Caesar was murdered to stop him proclaiming himself emperor of a state that had only recently turned turfed out its royalty and become republican.

Trump is being attacked for blatantly illegal acts and for failing as a president

I wouldn't say "recently" - The kings were turfed out of Rome in 509 BC! Overthrow of the Roman monarchy

Trump also had several successes BTW, whose beneficial effects will be felt for years.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Trump also had several successes BTW, whose beneficial effects will be felt for years.
              Well GOP is fooked for at least a decade, maybe even fatally - if it splits proper then it will finally finish FPTP cretinism.

Unintended good consequences don’t count tho.

Anything else?

Comment

I wouldn't say "recently" - The kings were turfed out of Rome in 509 BC! Overthrow of the Roman monarchy
                Which is why the republic didn't want an emperor...

And had several rather more significant failures such as ruining the USA's reputation with many countries, some of which are big enough to bite, and weakening key treaties across the board in the interests of his ignorant "America First" policy.

I think on balance he was a failure.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And had several rather more significant failures such as ruining the USA's reputation with many countries
                  I find this kind of comment quizzical. I have quite a few contacts around the globe and the interesting thing is, in the developing world, DT enjoyed a very positive following. They hate the people he insulted & to them he was an everyman hero.

Only my rather pompous upper-middle-class friends in the US/UK dislike him. Personally, I enjoyed the show.

Comment

would have been much smarter to try instead of doubling down on their inflexible, vindictive pursuit of legal action against Caesar, just as the stupid Democrats are doing today with Trump!
                    While I agree in general it would be far better to move on from Trump, Trump always won by refusing to back down. Look at how the "grab her by the pussy" came out during the election. He made out that was normal and got away with it! And that is just one example. Maybe the DEmocrats are fed up with Trump always getting away with it?

I would like to think Trump will end up in prison for life....

Comment

Working...
                    X