• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid: 'Not practical' to close UK borders, says Boris Johnson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid: 'Not practical' to close UK borders, says Boris Johnson

"It is "not practical" to completely close the UK's borders given the amount of medicines and food imported into the country, the prime minister has said.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer called for tougher restrictions to prevent new coronavirus variants entering the UK.

Boris Johnson said the government had already tightened travel restrictions to reduce the spread of the virus.

He said it would be going ahead with its plan for quarantine hotels for people arriving from Covid hot-spots.

It is not yet clear when the scheme - announced a week ago - will start. Health Secretary Matt Hancock will make a statement on Thursday to give further details, the prime minister said later at a Downing Street briefing."

Covid: '''Not practical''' to close UK borders, says Boris Johnson - BBC News

Not practical to prevent psychocandy from going on foreign holidays?

So much for living on an island, literally.

Comment

He's full of tulip.

It's to ensure his dad can escape.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I thought we had taken back control?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          I thought we had taken back control?
          Not from the muppets in charge.

Quarantine hotels to be operational from 15th Feb. The new strains if not already here will be by then.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            So much for living on an island, literally.
            Australia managed to do this but according to Shapps, that's because it's a continent...

He told the Commons Transport Select Committee on Wednesday: “People say ‘why don’t we just close down and then we’ll be safe?’.

“But, of course, we wouldn’t be safe, because we are an island nation – unlike Australia or something which is an entire continent – and that means that we need to get medicines in, we need to get food in, we need to get our raw materials in, sometimes we have to move people around, scientists and others.
            Is New Zealand also a continent?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Australia managed to do this but according to Shapps, that's because it's a continent...

They need to build a wall around the UK. The natural moat isn't enough.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Need to build a moat around the island

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

The excuse for that is that New Zealand only has the population of Scotland.

Then people bring up more countries and the excuse is that the UK relies on a high level of imports. Then they are cut off before explaining how those countries deal with workers involved in importing goods.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

We should do something more practical like a national clap?

Copyright HIGNFY facebook feed.

Comment

Working...
                    X