• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU threatens to block exports of Pfizer Covid vaccine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I think we can safely assume that's about to change.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Britain is independent of the EU therefore it doesn't affect Britain as they can simply buy it elsewhere or have the freedom to subsidise a new factory and make it there.
      Britain has been independent of the EU for less than a year.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Britain is independent of the EU therefore it doesn't affect Britain as they can simply buy it elsewhere or have the freedom to subsidise a new factory and make it there.
        Most of the AZ vaccine is made in the UK, at sites in Oxford and Staffordshire. It's filled and finished at a site in Wales. AZ also have production sites in the EU. Part of the reasons for using output from the EU based factories is that currently, the EU hasn't actually approved the AZ vaccine for use within the EU. So why not use that production capacity whilst the EU gets its house in order?

HTH.

My dad ( 76 ) is having his jab today. :-) Happy Days. The wife's parents ( in their 80's ) had theirs weeks ago. My wife ( health worker ) had hers two weeks ago, my daughter ( nurse ) had her's last week. Another daughter, at home from Uni, but working in a care-home, had hers in December.

The EU's response is purely to deflect attention from the complete shambles they've made of their attempt to procure and deploy a continent-wide vaccination programme.

Comment

Hmmm..puts tinfoil hat on...The EU invested heavily in this company for both development and for them to up production as they knew there would be a big call for it, now suddenly the EU can't get a return on their investment but the UK can....
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
            Most of the AZ vaccine is made in the UK, at sites in Oxford and Staffordshire. It's filled and finished at a site in Wales. AZ also have production sites in the EU. Part of the reasons for using output from the EU based factories is that currently, the EU hasn't actually approved the AZ vaccine for use within the EU. So why not use that production capacity whilst the EU gets its house in order?

HTH.

My dad ( 76 ) is having his jab today. :-) Happy Days. The wife's parents ( in their 80's ) had theirs weeks ago. My wife ( health worker ) had hers two weeks ago, my daughter ( nurse ) had her's last week. Another daughter, at home from Uni, but working in a care-home, had hers in December.

The EU's response is purely to deflect attention from the complete shambles they've made of their attempt to procure and deploy a continent-wide vaccination programme.
            The Pfizer vaccine is manufactured in Belgium.

Do you think that makes up for the shambles that the UK was too late to lock down and as a conseqence has 4 times the number of infections per day than other EU countries.?

The fact is the infection rates in the EU are dropping faster than in the UK.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 January 2021, 09:55.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Hmmm..puts tinfoil hat on...The EU invested heavily in this company for both development and for them to up production as they knew there would be a big call for it, now suddenly the EU can't get a return on their investment but the UK can....
              Well, take that tinfoil hat off. It doesn't suit you.

It's a localised supply problem, it will almost certainly get sorted out sooner, rather than later. Of course, the EU politicians are annoyed, it's understandably very embarrassing for them.

What would be the point of the EU blocking exports of an American company, Pfizer, which is also under legal obligations to supply other countries? It would just give everyone in the World the excuse to start blocking the supply of various components required.

Is the EU even in a position to deploy the Pfizer vaccine at scale anyway? With its very complicated cold-chain requirements. I'm sure the Germans could manage it but do the poorer EU member states have the correct facilities in place?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Britain has been independent of the EU for less than a month. Until the 31 Dec we wre in a transition phase where we had to obey EU rules.
                FTFY
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The Pfizer vaccine is manufactured in Belgium.
                  I know.

Do you think that makes up for the shambles that the UK was too late to lock down and as a conseqence has 4 times the number of infections per day than other EU countries.?
                  You do realise that it's possible to be both be supportive of certain government actions and critical of others?

Likewise, you don't have to be completely slavish to the EU just because you hate BREXIT and suspend all criticism of the EU efforts to procure vaccines for the EU-27.

It is possible to say "It looks like the UK has got it's vaccine strategy right in comparison to the EU" without that compromising any other view you may or may not hold with regards to EU/UK relationships in general and the COVID response in particular.

Life isn't binary.

Comment

I know.

You do realise that it's possible to be both be supportive of certain government actions and critical of others?

Likewise, you don't have to be completely slavish to the EU just because you hate BREXIT and suspend all criticism of the EU efforts to procure vaccines for the EU-27.

It is possible to say "It looks like the UK has got it's vaccine strategy right in comparison to the EU" without that compromising any other view you may or may not hold with regards to EU/UK relationships in general and the COVID response in particular.

Life isn't binary.
                    It looks like the upcoming fight on vaccines demonstrates that the UK's strategy will be torpedoed because it isn't co-operating with the EU.

Perhaps it would be better to have a more co-ordinated approach?
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Maybe the UK has only got its finger out with the vaccine because it let the virus get out of control.

I doubt the vaccine rollout would have had the same sense of urgency if they'd contained the pandemic.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X