• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boom ... but very early days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Maybe the Government will say that the stamp duty holiday will be allowed for every purchase where the two sides' solicitors first made contact with each other for that purchase within the deadline.
    That would be nice.

Update is we don't think we will be able to exchange before the end of March so the time pressure is off to some degree. Met buyer today (outside, socially distanced) and they really want my house and are happy to wait for me to find the right property.

I viewed a few properties Friday and flats are a no. I had to see it for myself but can't see myself getting rid of too much of the life/stuff that Mrs W and me built up. So will be buying a decent sized property in Solihull area. Gonna get stung by stamp duty but hey ho, it's only money

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Did you have children?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Of course, but it's harder to upsize than downsize, especially as one gets older, unless one has shedloads of spare cash.
    i do.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

There is still rumour and pressure that the current stamp duty holiday may be extended in some way. Gov't said absolutely not, but let's face it, they're quite well known by now for their u-turns ..
    Maybe the Government will say that the stamp duty holiday will be allowed for every purchase where the two sides' solicitors first made contact with each other for that purchase within the deadline.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I know you're trying to be witty, but that is actually quite sad. The 25 years I had with my wife were always fun and happy and I never for one day regretted marrying her - I actually find it sad when people complain about their partners or get divorced.

Apologies if this bed-wetting upsets anyone
    Did you have children?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Then he can move.
    Of course, but it's harder to upsize than downsize, especially as one gets older, unless one has shedloads of spare cash.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I know you're trying to be witty, but that is actually quite sad. The 25 years I had with my wife were always fun and happy and I never for one day regretted marrying her - I actually find it sad when people complain about their partners or get divorced.

I think you need to see the break ups to realise how it happens.

Sometimes people mistake lust and convenience for love or just get unlucky with their choice of partner. Some even manage to pick a BatTulip crazy partner or drive them that way. Sometimes the world conspires against them, its hard to be happy if you are really poor or your partner develops different values.

I am lucky Mrs V is fantastic even after decades of putting up with me. I did consider marrying my previous girlfriend who was a lovely person but I couldn't quite do it it didn't seem right in my heart, in retrospect I am very glad I didn't.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    It would be interesting if there was a change to use the exchange date rather than the completion date. You'd see a rush of people exchanging contracts and then lots of property forums seeing questions such as, "I rushed to exchange and now there's an issue with [insert corner cut here], can I change the contract?"
    There would have to be so many clauses in the contract that it wouldn't be worth the paper it's written on and I don't think would be a good option. I do like the 'house sold and under offer by 31st March' as this is provable, is a cut off date for the gov't but also allows the various parts of the sales process to do their jobs without the risk that one (usually the local gov't searches) bringing the whole process down.

As always with the Tories it's ill thought out. They constantly struggle to see the bigger picture hence why they are forced to u-turn so often. Definitely a watch this space .... if they don't extend there is going to be chaos.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Appreciate your perspective, but put yourself in the various Mrs BPs' shoes.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied

Appreciate your perspective, but put yourself in the various Mrs BPs' shoes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X