• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SockPuppet is busy now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SockPuppet is busy now

"Shortage of lorry drivers as EU nationals head home

The number of EU-born lorry drivers in the UK has fallen by almost a third since the end of 2019

The number of lorry drivers on British roads has gone into reverse as EU nationals head home, threatening further disruption at backlogged UK ports.

The latest figures showed just 25,000 EU nationals working as heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers in the UK at the end of June, down from 37,000 at the end of 2019.

The exodus was revealed by trade body Logistics UK’s Skills Shortage Report, to be launched next week but seen by the Telegraph. It has fuelled an 8pc fall in the number of drivers in the UK industry overall from 313,000 to 287,000 and has pushed up the average age of drivers to almost 50, the report said. EU drivers as a share of the overall workforce have also fallen from 12pc to just 9pc.

Alex Veitch, head of global policy at Logistics UK, said the fall in EU numbers was due to a combination of factors including Brexit and the Covid-19 crisis."

Shortage of lorry drivers as EU nationals head home

Weren't you supposed to be DOOOOOM free until after xmas atW?

Anyway, any reduction in the UK population is good in my view.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It’s BOOM thread for contractors like SockPuppet

DOOM thread thing was to avoid usage of DOOM brand for the time being, until ladymuck begs me to bring it back or it’s end of the year

Comment

Well maybe the wages will rise above minimum wage and the people laid off from hospitality etc could get some training for lorry driving.

I have no problem with people who are laid off getting an interest free loan to learn to drive lorries or lay bricks. Maybe the clever ones can become Bangladeshi curry chefs!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          "Shortage of lorry drivers as EU nationals head home

The number of EU-born lorry drivers in the UK has fallen by almost a third since the end of 2019

The number of lorry drivers on British roads has gone into reverse as EU nationals head home, threatening further disruption at backlogged UK ports.

The latest figures showed just 25,000 EU nationals working as heavy goods vehicle (HGV) drivers in the UK at the end of June, down from 37,000 at the end of 2019.

The exodus was revealed by trade body Logistics UK’s Skills Shortage Report, to be launched next week but seen by the Telegraph. It has fuelled an 8pc fall in the number of drivers in the UK industry overall from 313,000 to 287,000 and has pushed up the average age of drivers to almost 50, the report said. EU drivers as a share of the overall workforce have also fallen from 12pc to just 9pc.

Alex Veitch, head of global policy at Logistics UK, said the fall in EU numbers was due to a combination of factors including Brexit and the Covid-19 crisis."

Shortage of lorry drivers as EU nationals head home
          No worries, we can bring in new drivers on the points system

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
          X