• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fair Cop...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fair Cop...

Or more like a thief who is a cop.

Cop who scanned Krispy Kremes as 7p carrots said it was ‘honest mistake’ | Metro News

A police officer who scanned a 7p barcode for carrots on tray of £9.95 Krispy Kreme doughnuts has said it was an honest mistake.

PC Simon Read said he did not realise he had scanned the carrot barcode twice at the self-service tills at Tesco in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

At the opening of his misconduct hearing this morning, PC Read accepted that he failed to scan the barcode for the doughnuts while purchasing four items at around 11.30am – the doughnuts, carrots, a sandwich and a drink – but said it was not done on purpose.

Asked if he intended to steal the doughnuts, he told the hearing: ‘Absolutely not, and I’m horrified we’re in this situation here today.’

The Cambridgeshire Police officer, who joined the force in January, said he was buying the sweet treats for colleagues as a ‘cake fine’.

‘Cake fines are fairly common in the police,’ he said. ‘It’s a way of being punished in a light-hearted way.’

He said people could be given a ‘cake fine’ if they were having a bad day, or if they were joining or leaving a department. PC Read said he was buying the carrots for someone on a diet and he thought it ‘would be funny’ for them to be in a Krispy Kreme paper bag.

He said he stuck the carrots barcode onto the doughnut tray. ‘I simply scanned where I believed the barcodes were and placed them down (in the bagging area),’ he said.

‘I didn’t check the screen. I wish I had have done. I wish I had paid more attention to what was an ordinary experience – going to the shop, scanning some items and paying.’

He said he felt ‘embarrassed’ by what happened, adding: ‘This has been a very long and lengthy nine months, not being at work when I should be.’

He said he took a receipt but did not look at it, adding: ‘I had no cause to.’

Lawyer Mark Ley-Morgan, putting the misconduct case, said: ‘He’s maintained from the outset this is all a horrible mistake, of him failing to pay attention while scanning his items.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

An arrest and a solid conviction is slum-dunk really, how very dare they charge cops for donuts?

Comment

I use those barcode scanners at Sainsburies. Must admit, it worries me slightly that one could make an honest error by forgetting to scan summit and and get nabbed by one of their random checks.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I use those barcode scanners at Sainsburies. Must admit, it worries me slightly that one could make an honest error by forgetting to scan summit and and get nabbed by one of their random checks.
        I once scanned the wrong type of potato for a cheaper type because they didn't have the type I was buying on their tills, and the assistant had fecked off.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I once scanned the wrong type of potato for a cheaper type because they didn't have the type I was buying on their tills, and the assistant had fecked off.
          They take it out of their salary - whole potato

Comment

It's funny how we've accepted the unpaid job of checkout person, and the risk of fine and criminal record if we do a bad job without any training or supervision.

Next step, we will have to load the shelves and move stuff around in the warehouse before being allowed to make the purchase.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              Next step, we will have to load the shelves and move stuff around in the warehouse before being allowed to make the purchase.
              They call it IKEA

HTH

Comment

It is quite a common scam that people weigh an expensive item on the self-service tills instead of scanning the barcode and select a cheap root vegetable.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  It's funny how we've accepted the unpaid job of checkout person, and the risk of fine and criminal record if we do a bad job without any training or supervision.

We've also taken the unpaid job of filling our own trolleys. I remember the grocers in Cambridge 15 years ago (IIRC it closed shortly before I moved away) where you asked the owner behind the counter for the items you wanted and he would fetch and bag them for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    It is quite a common scam that people weigh an expensive item on the self-service tills instead of scanning the barcode and select a cheap root vegetable.
                    I send my cheap vegetable round to do the shopping for me while I put my feet up.

Comment

Working...
                    X