• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

told you it was coming.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    No we change the law and from then on there are penalties for those that disobey the law , its how it works.

Strangely pertinent facts are not whataboutery even if you don't agree with them being mentioned. The African rulers being totally complicit in slavery is pertinent as is the trade being legal. I don't like either of those facts but they are true.

The British involvement in the transatlantic slave trade was to end it an slavery generally after millenia at considerable cost to the UK. Before that it was a totally legal enterprise indulged in by almost every country. If you want you can demand reparations from tobacco, alcohol and petroleum companies do tell us how you get on. If companies leaving those areas are given grants to change should we punish them?

We need to draw a line under it and deal with important matters. Slavery is still permitted in Africa and other areas lets abolish that.

Why just the British? it was endemic. Or are we just seen as an easy touch?
    You seem to ignore that Britain had a very large Empire covering a quarter of the world's land at done point, and some of the land the UK colonised in certain regions e.g. the Carribbean was mainly populated with black slaves.

And we are focusing on British involvement because we are in the UK. If we were in another European country who had an Empire we would be focusing on that country.

Oh and if you want a lone drawn under it you are going to have to wait another century as their are people in their 40s who were born on Carribbean islands that were still British colonies and so have a obvious legacy of slavery.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 12 November 2020, 23:10.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FTFY, then stand back and listen to the squeals.

I'm safe as far as I know, my family never owned slaves.
      You don't get the nuance do you, a sizeable proportion of the Afro-Caribbean community are descended from slave owners, see Ainsley Harriot's 'who do you think you are'. When the slave 'trade' was abolished the owning of slaves wasn't. To propagate their stock slave owners and their sons would reproduce with them and in their eyes they were doing them a favour because the whiter a child the more privilege they had.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        You don't get the nuance do you, a sizeable proportion of the Afro-Caribbean community are descended from slave owners, see Ainsley Harriot's 'who do you think you are'. When the slave 'trade' was abolished the owning of slaves wasn't. To propagate their stock slave owners and their sons would reproduce with them and in their eyes they were doing them a favour because the whiter a child the more privilege they had.
        Again the UK banned slavery within the British Empire in 1833 both trading and ownership. With some exceptions later eliminated in 1843.

Slavery Abolition Act 1833 - Wikipedia.

To do this the government bought the slaves off their owners (the slave owner compensation) that cost us 40% of annual GDP to do that which is why we were paying off over a century and half. So this is unlikely to be British owners.

The US and many other countries didn't by the way, this may be what you are thinking about?

Ah now that is a decent point, where there was rape. We have laws for that. Maybe rearrange the inheritance laws so slave descended children are deemed to have inherited and get the rights to the inheritance money that would get the slave owners spinning in their graves.

We need to be specific about the offences and as OG suggested maybe make some calculations. I disagreed with owner compensation I think we should have stopped that after a few decades when it was obvious that slavery thankfully was not coming back. If we hadn't paid it though the Slavery Abolition Act would not have passed so I see it as a worthwhile expenditure.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Wage slavery is still a bit of a problem these days

Comment

Again the UK banned slavery within the British Empire in 1833 both trading and ownership. With some exceptions later eliminated in 1843.

Slavery Abolition Act 1833 - Wikipedia.

To do this the government bought the slaves off their owners (the slave owner compensation) that cost us 40% of annual GDP to do that which is why we were paying off over a century and half. So this is unlikely to be British owners.

The US and many other countries didn't by the way, this may be what you are thinking about?

Ah now that is a decent point, where there was rape. We have laws for that. Maybe rearrange the inheritance laws so slave descended children are deemed to have inherited and get the rights to the inheritance money that would get the slave owners spinning in their graves.

We need to be specific about the offences and as OG suggested maybe make some calculations. I disagreed with owner compensation I think we should have stopped that after a few decades when it was obvious that slavery thankfully was not coming back. If we hadn't paid it though the Slavery Abolition Act would not have passed so I see it as a worthwhile expenditure.

It's actually even more nuance than that.

Goods were manufactured from products made with slaves' labour. So if anyone in your family for example used sugar e.g. baker, chocolate maker they were profiting from slavery. (Even the Quakers weren't exempt.)

Also with more mixed ethnicity individuals in the UK there are more people who are the descendants of both slaves and those who profited from slavery.

Slavery is built into the fabric of modern Britain and this is what historians want recognised.

However activists asking for reparations have a problem as posts outlined on this thread point out. First exactly who do you compensate- you won't be compensating just people who are black? Then how much?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              You seem to ignore that Britain had a very large Empire covering a quarter of the world's land at done point, and some of the land the UK colonised in certain regions e.g. the Carribbean was mainly populated with black slaves.

And we are focusing on British involvement because we are in the UK. If we were in another European country who had an Empire we would be focusing on that country.

Oh and if you want a lone drawn under it you are going to have to wait another century as their are people in their 40s who were born on Carribbean islands that were still British colonies and so have a obvious legacy of slavery.

Oh so you lost the slave reparation argument so we move onto Empire. Which Empires covered the rest of the world? Do you know why the East India company had a standing army?

If we hadn't ruled a quarter of the world you would have been speaking German, Spanish or French (other Brutal Empires were available) now. The wealth we made (and sometimes stole) paid for its protection.

Most of the UK has an obvious legacy of coal mining. Most of the recent miners are now dying from dust induced cancer etc. and a hundred years ago they worked under duress in disgusting conditions that would be illegal now. Should we pay their great grandchildren compensation? I am fine compensating dying miners because we made them work in unsafe conditions, reparations maybe not.

Comment

Oh so you lost the slave reparation argument so we move onto Empire.
                Nah I always thought it was a stupid argument.

Which Empires covered the rest of the world? Do you know why the East India company had a standing army?

If we hadn't ruled a quarter of the world you would have been speaking German, Spanish or French (other Brutal Empires were available) now. The wealth we made (and sometimes stole) paid for its protection.

Most of the UK has an obvious legacy of coal mining. Most of the recent miners are now dying from dust induced cancer etc. and a hundred years ago they worked under duress in disgusting conditions that would be illegal now. Should we pay their great grandchildren compensation? I am fine compensating dying miners because we made them work in unsafe conditions, reparations maybe not.
                There is a compensation scheme for coal miners - if they live long enough and know how to put a claim in that is.

Comment

Nah I always thought it was a stupid argument.

There is a compensation scheme for coal miners - if they live long enough and know how to put a claim in that is.

what about their great,great grandchildren.

Comment

It's actually even more nuance than that.

Goods were manufactured from products made with slaves' labour. So if anyone in your family for example used sugar e.g. baker, chocolate maker they were profiting from slavery. (Even the Quakers weren't exempt.)

Also with more mixed ethnicity individuals in the UK there are more people who are the descendants of both slaves and those who profited from slavery.

Slavery is built into the fabric of modern Britain and this is what historians want recognised.

However activists asking for reparations have a problem as posts outlined on this thread point out. First exactly who do you compensate- you won't be compensating just people who are black? Then how much?

I completely agree that Slavery has had a profound effect on modern society, but so has the Monarchy (incestuous as it was), the feudal system, the industrial revolution and multiple wars.

I really welcome the stories coming out in Black history month proving our then colonies produced brave men and presumably women who volunteered to fight for King & Empire.

I agree paying reparations are a poor idea and one driven by individual greed. We have real issues that need fixing now lets work on them!

Comment

Working...
                    X