• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance with points on license / criminal record

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance with points on license / criminal record

Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me in advance if this particular issue has been raised before. I was advised that this forum is useful to gain information on such issues.

I have a provisional offer for PM role with a Government department and I am about to go through SC security clearance. What does SC clearance entail?

I have recently been charged with driving without third party insurance and driving without due care and attention. I plan to plead guilty to the former - so as a minimum I will have 6 points on my drivers license.

Not sure if this would be seen as spent or unspent criminal conviction but is this something that I should be worried about? Can i fail SC clearance for having a driving offence of this nature?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...questions.html

Comment

You need to declare and to be open about the facts. They will know - you need to be very upfront. These would be unspent as you have not had the penalty points and associated time and any punishment from your driving without due care considered.

To be honest they are likely to take a dim view of both of these very daft things but you may as well be open and honest and see how it goes!

I really can’t see any mitigating circumstances about driving without insurance or driving without due care but that’s for the clearance people to take their view on.

Comment

Ignore it. Be honest if asked.

SC / DV is the authority's way of measuring your honestly, your risk of being coerced. Massive debts are more likely to raise an eyebrow than points on a license.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LeadingFrank View Post
          Hello, I am new to this forum so forgive me in advance if this particular issue has been raised before. I was advised that this forum is useful to gain information on such issues.

I have a provisional offer for PM role with a Government department and I am about to go through SC security clearance. What does SC clearance entail?

I have recently been charged with driving without third party insurance and driving without due care and attention. I plan to plead guilty to the former - so as a minimum I will have 6 points on my drivers license.

Not sure if this would be seen as spent or unspent criminal conviction but is this something that I should be worried about? Can i fail SC clearance for having a driving offence of this nature?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.
          The police should have shot you for driving without insurance.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Worse. He should have his Jacuzzi taken.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Ignore it. Be honest if asked.

SC / DV is the authority's way of measuring your honestly, your risk of being coerced. Massive debts are more likely to raise an eyebrow than points on a license.
              Hurrah - today's first really stupid post.

I suspect they might also take a dim view of law breaking, especially for something that is both serious and really antisocial . And you never know what the risk criteria they are assessing against are anyway.

What is certain is that they will fail you if you don't tell them about it.

And they have asked. That's what the forms are for.
              Last edited by malvolio; 9 September 2020, 14:14.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Had I caught the guy who hit the wife's car and caused an uninsured £2k's worth of damage I'd have shot him myself...

It's not a victimless crime. Apart form anything else, my insurance is hiked up to cover the costs of the uninsured idiots.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Hurrah - today's first really stupid post.

I suspect they might also take a dim view of law breaking,
                  I'm speaking from experience.

Anyhoo, law breaking. No. 10 gave us the green light yesterday - law's are more of a recommendation. That's the message your leader seems to be giving out.

Fuk business, fuk the law, fuk the virus... no. 10 approved.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I'm speaking from experience.

Anyhoo, law breaking. No. 10 gave us the green light yesterday - law's are more of a recommendation. That's the message your leader seems to be giving out.

Fuk business, fuk the law, fuk the virus... no. 10 approved.
                    International law is there for the ignoring. UK law is... um... yeah...

Comment

Working...
                    X