• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

??????? Scottish independence: New poll shows clear majority for yes vote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    If the SNP put someone else up in front of the cameras every now and then, we wouldn't have that perception. Those of us who follow Westminster politics get to 'enjoy' Ian Blackford on a regular basis, but he's a single-issue man at the moment (that being the one I'm not allowed to mention here).
    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has stood up in front of the cameras every day of the Coronavirus pandemic and has given clear and concise statistics and guidance. She then takes questions from a hostile unionist media.

The English government have fiddled the figures and had different people instead of the PM (apart from about 5 times) stand at the podium and even stopped the scientists from speaking. All the questions are submitted for approval beforehand.

It's a wonder you've seen Ian Blackford as the BBC and Sky tend to cut away as soon as he stands to speak.

It's all helping to drive support for independence though.

Comment

Here in Scotland we have our own Parliament and thanks to the British Government - Devolution and a Scottish Parliament.

Scotland has benefited enromously from the Union of the Crowns - Scotlands future will benefit tremednously if we preserve the Union - the reality is that without Westminsters generous bailout we would have been ruined by the Pandemic.

Scotland benefits from Devolution and remaining within the United Kingdom - we have the best of both worlds.

Let's keep it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        OK, test failed. The 2012 referendum was skewed by Salmond's fantasy economics, such that enough people believed that they would be better off outside the UK. Reality was that you wouldn't have been (or, to be strictly accurate, wouldn't have been in 2012 given recent events). And while the worlds has changed, you won't be joining the EU as some kind of desirable state, on the basis that (a) there a damned long queue and (b) your gross income might be enough for Scotland (although I doubt it and people would soon get annoyed at how much things are starting to cost) but it's not exactly getting you into the G20.

The economic argument simply doesn't work by itself. You need to find some rather more cogent reason to get out of the UK.
        So, Scotland is unique amongst small countries as it's the only one that wouldn't be able to cope on its own?

There is no queue to join the EU. They have said that Scotland would be welcomed, and it would be quick.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          Here in Scotland we have our own Parliament and thanks to the British Government - Devolution and a Scottish Parliament.

Scotland has benefited enromously from the Union of the Crowns - Scotlands future will benefit tremednously if we preserve the Union - the reality is that without Westminsters generous bailout we would have been ruined by the Pandemic.

Scotland benefits from Devolution and remaining within the United Kingdom - we have the best of both worlds.

Let's keep it that way.
          lolz

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            An independent Scotland will be aiming to be green so we'll be looking to keep the oil where it is.

We are supplying enough wind power to meet our energy needs.

Scotland generating enough wind energy to power two Scotlands | The Independent

We've got plenty of the new oil - water. We'll get rich selling some of it south of the border (if you can afford to buy it )

Water supply in parts of England at 'serious risk' of running out within 20 years, MPs warn | London Evening Standard

Decide what you want to live off, first it was those terrible Brits stealing your oil, now its water. Make up your mind.

if we run out of water we can always build a desalination plant.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
              We would be an equal partner in the EU with more input into the decisions.

Better than being ignored by Westminster.

If we are such a liability why are you so desperate to keep us prisoner?
              I genuinely don't mind whether Scotland becomes independent or not. If it does I would consider whether to use my Scottish heritage to obtain a passport, but that's about as far as my interest goes.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Decide what you want to live off, first it was those terrible Brits stealing your oil, now its water. Make up your mind.

if we run out of water we can always build a desalination plant.
                The point is we have many valuable resources. We will be fine as a small independent nation in the EU.

Comment

Good.

Bugger off.

Don't the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

So long & thanks for all the fish.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've never been able to work out who owns Batcher. I suspect it is pooper's. Not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      I was thinking specifically of Greece, but when we know the full economic impact of Covid19 there will certainly be others.
                      Greece done very well - both in Covid and also in dealing with debt, they are now very desireable place to go Covid wise

Comment

Working...
                      X