• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Gym Ideas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Gym Ideas

This might be a long-shot but any of you lot setup a home gym? I'm after ideas of what to put in there, cost, equipment recommendations.

I'm looking at spending around 2k. I already have an exercise bike and running machine. Thinking will need a range of dumbbells from 8kg to 30kg to start off with. Kettle bells, mats. Some kind of multigym thang. What else would be good?

This may be a stupid question but I'm using a 3rd floor bedroom, just wonder if there is weight limit you can have in a room? How would you even find out?

We have set up a home gym. I have my bike on a turbo trainer, mats, weight bench, dumbbells and a rowing machine. But the only bit of equipment that gets used every work out is the TV so defo add that to the budget. I had to sort out a smart wifi network as well to get a decent signal in the gym.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
      We have set up a home gym. I have my bike on a turbo trainer, mats, weight bench, dumbbells and a rowing machine. But the only bit of equipment that gets used every work out is the TV so defo add that to the budget. I had to sort out a smart wifi network as well to get a decent signal in the gym.
      Where did you buy the weight bench, dumbbells from?

Yeah defo adding a TV in there oh and some mirrors.

Comment

I've got a water rower, an exercise bike, some hand weights and an indoor pool.

Apparently 30lb per square foot is planning minimum for upper floors in residential property.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I can "recommend" a Concept2 rower however they are toppy and will eat into your 2k budget. I say recommend, but they are a thing of evil, you have to be a bit of a sadist to use them properly but they will get your heart pumping and then some. I was lucky to find one on eBay for 570 notes that had only done less than 1k lifetime meters.

Myself and the wife have been doing Tabata HIIT sessions (created by a local PT chap) in the garden and you don't need a load of expensive equipment for that, maybe some dumbells, skipping rope and some kettle bells/medicine ball. It has worked too, mrs qh has lost almost a stone (she is also doing keto/low carb diet) and I lost 2/3 lbs until I bust a knee ligament a few weeks ago putting up a new shed.

I acutally miss the working out, so looking forward to getting back to starting it again. The Tabata is good as you only need to do around 45mins and you will burn the calories all day long.

qh
          Last edited by quackhandle; 20 July 2020, 08:25.
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
            Where did you buy the weight bench, dumbbells from?

Yeah defo adding a TV in there oh and some mirrors.
            They were cheap from argos.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              This might be a long-shot but any of you lot setup a home gym? I'm after ideas of what to put in there, cost, equipment recommendations.

I'm looking at spending around 2k. I already have an exercise bike and running machine. Thinking will need a range of dumbbells from 8kg to 30kg to start off with. Kettle bells, mats. Some kind of multigym thang. What else would be good?

This may be a stupid question but I'm using a 3rd floor bedroom, just wonder if there is weight limit you can have in a room? How would you even find out?
              I'd start off by doing a few dozen burpees then going downstairs to check if the plaster is still intact on the ceiling below.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                I've got a water rower, an exercise bike, some hand weights and an indoor pool.

Apparently 30lb per square foot is planning minimum for upper floors in residential property.
                Thank for the info about the weight. Gonna have to google that a bit, though the running machine may stay down in the utility room off the kitchen.
                What make of water rower did you go for?

Comment

2K seems a lot! I've had one of these in my garage for a few years. Rather a hassle to put together but sturdy, no problems with it yet. Takes up space though.

Buy Men's Health 90kg Home Multi Gym | Multi-gyms | Argos
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                    I can "recommend" a Concept2 rower however they are toppy and will eat into your 2k budget. I say recommend, but they are a thing of evil, you have to be a bit of a sadist to use them but they will get your heart pumping and then some. I was lucky to find one on eBay for 570 notes that had only done less than 1k lifetime meters.

Myself and the wife have been doing Tabata HIIT sessions (created by a local PT chap) in the garden and you don't need a load of equipment for that, maybe some dumbells, skipping rope and some kettle bells/medicine ball. It has worked too, mrs qh has lost almost a stone (she is also doing keto/low carb diet) and I lost 2/3 lbs until I bust a knee ligament a few weeks ago putting up a new shed.

I acutally miss the working out, so looking forward to getting back to starting it again. The Tabata is good as you only need to do around 45mins and you will burn the calories all day long.

qh
                    We did have a rower but we stopped using it, think if you have poor form it can really affect your back. But quite like the idea of trying again.

Nice one on mrs qh losing almost a stone, crap news about the knee ligament. Saying that I've pulled a muscle in my back putting socks on before :0

The heavy weights are really for me, I really miss having that strength. I've been using bands to keep some muscle and flexibility but not the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X