• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving on the wrong side of the road

No, we're not talking about murderous wives of diplomats.

I have driven on the correct side of the road for many, many years now (that's the left for you lot in forrin lands) and am of reasonable competence (no worse than most, certainly not a professional). I would love to do more driving whilst on holiday in Europe but am seriously nervous about it. I've searched on and off for years trying to find driving lessons I could take to boost my confidence a bit but, other than one travel company who no longer do it, I can't find anything.

Is it really a case of JFDI and stop being a wuss or is there anything practical I can do to prepare?

No idea when this will happen, given the current circumstances, but it's what's bugging me this morning.

Its easier if you're using a LHD car, just keep tour passenger between you and the road. Also the busier the better as you just follow the rest.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Its easier if you're using a LHD car, just keep tour passenger between you and the road. Also the busier the better as you just follow the rest.
      You mean keep the passenger between me and the pavement? Driver tends to be towards the middle of the road...

Comment

It's a case of JFDI.

If you can, start in a LHD car - that's better because you're already thinking about the gear stick being in the wrong place, and trying to find the handbrake in the driver's door pocket.

Motorways are the easiest to drive on.
        The hardest bit I find is turning from a narrow side road at a T junction on to a main road.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Only tip I have (and probably obvious) is to avoid driving while tired or unfocused because that’s when you slip into old habits. I actually found it much harder when moving back to the UK from an extended period overseas than driving overseas while living in the UK. I think you’re more “on edge” with a short trip anyway. You forget when you start to get comfortable...

Comment

I drive to Leipzig once a year (in normal times) in a rented campervan, ignoring the size difference the key things I would say are

Are there any games / simulations that you can play with?
            Google street view key part of the journey to understand the flow of the traffic
            Once you get going its not too bad - just be aware & see what other cars are doing
            I find myself talking aloud about what lane, direction etc I am planning
            Make sure passengers know when to STFU & not be "back seat driver"
            The 1st hour of driving each day took a bit more concentration
            Motorways are easier as its difficult to be on the wrong side
            Be aware of your blind spots they are going to be in different locations

But it is mostly a just give it a go & take it easy - slow Is better than dead
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

To make it easier drive an automatic. Keep in mind that the road layout will also help you to drive the correct side of the road, takes some concentrating first but will go without too much thinking after a while. Don't get too relaxed, like I once did early in the morning still half sleepy and driving away on the wrong side of the road, when the first car came from the opposite direction I was fully woken up though. I'm switching between Left and Right hand driving since I got my driving license

Comment

I have no intention of taking my own car overseas just yet but would look to pick up a LHD car on arrival. The roads around airports aren't exactly the most friendly which is probably the bit that gives me the most collywobbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  To make it easier drive an automatic. Keep in mind that the road layout will also help you to drive the correct side of the road, takes some concentrating first but will go without too much thinking after a while. Don't get too relaxed, like I once did early in the morning still half sleepy and driving away on the wrong side of the road, when the first car came from the opposite direction I was fully woken up though. I'm switching between Left and Right hand driving since I got my driving license
                  Good point - the accident stats bear this out too - most accidents happen close to home, when you’re not switched on or are switching off, so pay extra attention during those times.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    I have never driven an automatic car

Not sure if getting used to an automatic on foreign roads is a good combination...

Comment

Working...
                    X