• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving on the wrong side of the road

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic makes life easier in Europe.

Also take an extra second to think ( Keep right ) before you join a road, turning into an intersection etc, roundabouts and all.

Comment

I have to say find it reasonably easy when I drive to the UK in my LHD car, just remember that the steering wheel should be next to the pavement. Roundabouts can be tricky and so can car parks when trying to put the ticket in the exit barrier. Just take it easy and you should be okay and remember to check up on each countries quirks regarding traffic laws.

Some things you must know when driving in the Continent

1. Your life expectancy is thirty-six minutes

2. Never look where you are going. The police keep a look out for this sort of thing.
      3. Never give way. If you want to turn left against the traffic, stop and get out your travelers checks.
      4. Make sure that you are in the wrong gear all the time.
      5. Continental law forbids any driver under the influence of teetotalism. Strict measures are taken to ensure this. If the alcohol count in your bloodstream is less than 87%, you may be liable for prosecution.
      6. There are many hills and other prominence's abroad. Make certain, when going over the brow of a hill or around a corner, that you are on the wrong side of the road and busy talking to the person beside you.
      7. You will know if you are on the wrong side of the road when there is oncoming traffic on your side of the road.
      8. Always steer the car with your little finger and don't use the windscreen. Since you'll be overtaking most of the time, drive constantly looking into your rear view mirror.
      9. All front seat passengers on the continent are obliged, under the law to be mad.
      10. Never stop suddenly for chickens, peasants, donkeys or because your eight week old puppy has shot through the wind screen. You may cause an accident.
      11. Accelerate when approaching and going over narrow bridges. This will give you a better chance of getting there before a large truck of inflammable liquid.
      12. In dense fog, continental law obliges you to see how fast you can go.
      13. Remember 1 kmh = 25 mph.
      14. Traffic signs don't exist. Rely on the body gestures of oncoming drivers. If you see a bus driver hitting his chest you know he is having a heart attack and is going to veer of the road and down a deep gully. If you see a driver looking down at his lap you know he is making himself a sandwich and is likely to smash into you with no warning.
      15. Using your horn all the time is the key to driving on the continent. If in doubt, honk that horn!
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Have done this a lot of times both in America and on the continent. My wife has done it here, and her family when they come here.

Have to say there's a lot of sympathy in our family for Ms Sacoolas, she didn't mean to do anything wrong, it's a mistake we've made more than once, she had the misfortune of not having any traffic around to catch her attention. Her whole world turned upside down, husband's status exposed so career probably ruined, and now demonised. Not excusing it or the diplomatic immunity but other cases aren't treated like this (google Caroline Emmet). Anyway....

LHD definitely. I've driven my car on the continent, it's a lot harder.

GPS definitely, so you can concentrate on driving, not on directions.

Automatic definitely. One more way you could make a mistake and now won't, one less thing you have to think about.

Roundabouts and one-way streets, be very careful. Especially turning off of a one-way street onto a dual, it's so easy to turn to the near lane when you normally would, and should be turning to the far lane. If you have someone with you, have them remind you approaching every roundabout or anytime you are on a one-way street, 'Be careful here.' You can be fine for two weeks and then a one-way street throws you off.

Further to that, don't assume because you've been fine for a couple weeks you are ok. Anne Sacoolas wasn't, though had been here a while. A lifetime of habits dies hard.

One other thing I never struggled with but a couple people visiting us did. There's a tendency for those used to LH drive to be sitting in the LH side of the lane. They get in a RH drive car and it may not feel right, they aren't in the right part of the lane, so they tend to drift left, and suddenly they are hitting the kerb, or the bushes beside the road, or drifting into the next lane, etc. So pay attention to lane positioning at first to see if this is your tendency. Again, asking a passenger to pay attention can help. Most people don't do this but some do.

That all sounds scary. It's really not. I'm sure you'll be fine. I've never had an accident. One of our American visitors drifted left and scraped against a rail, but other than that, none of them ever had trouble either. Be alert to a few dangers and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I have never driven an automatic car

Not sure if getting used to an automatic on foreign roads is a good combination...
          It's very easy. I had a C class Merc as my first automatic and it was great for commuting. Then switched back to a manual and forgot to dip the clutch at the end of the road.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

JFDI, but it's definitely a lot easier with a LHD car. I've taken the motorbike to France a few times and while it's fine, it definitely needs that touch more concentration than driving a LHD car does.

Even so, my top tip is to STOP at every junction and roundabout and think about what you're doing especially at first. But it's really not that bad - thing is, everything about the road system is designed for it so everything is "wrong" if you drive on the wrong side.

My first ever time abroad was through the middle of Rome at rush hour and I survived that, so you'll be reet.

Edit: I'll also add that I find driving abroad massively liberating. It's rare we do a holiday without a hire car now - driven in the US, Italy, Spain, France and Australia (Oh that one doesn't count ) with no drama. Love having my own transport etc.
            Last edited by vwdan; 23 June 2020, 12:33.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              It's very easy. I had a C class Merc as my first automatic and it was great for commuting. Then switched back to a manual and forgot to dip the clutch at the end of the road.
              I did the opposite - cruising up to a roundabout in my new automatic (well, DSG) and as the roundabout was clear I went to drop into third gear. Left foot hit the brake and I literally just planted it - tulip myself, but scared the guy behind even more!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                I did the opposite - cruising up to a roundabout in my new automatic (well, DSG) and as the roundabout was clear I went to drop into third gear. Left foot hit the brake and I literally just planted it - tulip myself, but scared the guy behind even more!
                The big metal paddle behind the left hand side of the wheel with the minus on it will shift down from 8th to anything lower...

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Ah yes, the C class auto that has a habit of jamming in park. Mercedes charge £1000 to hit the gear shift with a hammer and replace a plastic pin, a 5 minute job.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Oh and turn off the auto engine shut off.

I had to do an emergency stop on a roundabout near Bari and it thought I had stopped at a junction. Very embarrassing as dipping the clutch in neutral wouldn't restart it. Had to turn it all the way off and on again. Took seconds but felt like a life time!! Those Italians like their horns. Also in Italy you are expected to pull out on cars and push you're way in. Also a car flashing their headlights is NOT giving way, actually the opposite it means I'm coming through and won't be stopping!
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Ah yes, the C class auto that has a habit of jamming in park. Mercedes charge £1000 to hit the gear shift with a hammer and replace a plastic pin, a 5 minute job.
                      Got rid of it six years ago. Nice enough motor but wanted something a bit more fun to drive.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X