• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BLM London Protest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post

But that doesn't take away from the fact that these protests are for a specific race that have deep rooted societal disadvantages that we have given them.
    /virtue_signal_off
    I've not given anyone societal disadvantages and I'm not about to take the blame for the USA and it's bloody nuts police force.

In this country aren't poor white communities the most disadvantaged?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
      Can you point out a successful african country ( economically successful), maybe there are some lessons that could be learned from them?
      What point are you trying to make here?

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      So what about the Asians that were mostly at the bottom of society until very recently who were treated no better than the Blacks? Are they integrating in society?

History of Asian Americans - Wikipedia
      Did we enslave them as well as subject them to generations of prejudice?

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I've not given anyone societal disadvantages and I'm not about to take the blame for the USA and it's bloody nuts police force.

Me neither and I don't believe in feeling guilty for my genetics nor will I 'check my privilege'. But I won't dismiss this cause like many others are.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What point are you trying to make here?

Its a question, if you can answer it we can see what points we can conclude from it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          Its a question, if you can answer it we can see what points we can conclude from it?
          Botswana, but you've been told that already.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Screw taking the blame. If someone told me to take the blame for the USA and it's bloody nuts police force, I'd tell them where to go. Happy to say that nobody has, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Screw taking the blame. If someone told me to take the blame for the USA and it's bloody nuts police force, I'd tell them where to go. Happy to say that nobody has, so far.
              Lucky you, it happens to me on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Botswana, but you've been told that already.
                Remarkable. On leaving the benevolence of white colonial rule in 1966, it had a GDP of 51 million. Now it's nearly 19 billion.

Comment

Lucky you, it happens to me on a daily basis.
                  I'm so sorry to hear that.

Comment

The problem with the 'all lives matter' and quoting black on black murder statistics misses the point of why the protests are happening and is part of the problem.

George Floyd did not deserve to die and was entitled to a fair trial and this is not an isolated incident. I believe that there is inherent and systemic racism in Western society - especially in America and it needs to be addressed.

Yes there are issues with black-on-black killings and gang culture and crime - why do you think this is? Is that how they were when they were kidnapped and shipped over into slavery or did they become like that over generations of being forced into slavery, poverty and being denied opportunities?

We've done this - we're responsible and that statue coming down in Bristol is a step in the right direction when it comes to targeting the root cause.

And yes there are lots of people exploiting these protests from organised criminals (like the ones we had in 2011), antifa, virtue signalling corporations/celebrities/influencers - and you can bet political campaigns on both sides leading up to the US election.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that these protests are for a specific race that have deep rooted societal disadvantages that we have given them. Obviously all lives do matter but that doesn't negate the validity of the BLM movement.

/virtue_signal_off
                    40 years ago 80% of black kids had a father figure present at home, now it's the opposite. That's a problem across western society as a whole too - divorce is too simple and easy and a decline in responsibility has seen a corresponding increase in disrespect, violent crime and criminal damage in society. Hands are tied for authority figures too.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

Luckily Minneapolis is disbanding police force and replacing it with social workers. Should be a laugh to watch, All hail the New Founding Fathers!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X