• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to go contract but have 6 week notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to go contract but have 6 week notice period

I'm a permie looking to go contract.

I've already asked a question about notice period, but I've checked and I'm looking at 6 weeks. I'd really rather not quit before I have a contract, but does anyone think I have a snowballs chance in hell of securing a contract this far in advance?

Originally posted by jamescoleuk

I've already asked a question about notice period, but I've checked and I'm looking at 6 weeks. I'd really rather not quit before I have a contract, but does anyone think I have a snowballs chance in hell of securing a contract this far in advance?

No, but if you save up a couple of weeks a/l you could string out the date from contract offer to signing to start date over four weeks, and you never know your present company will probably half the notice period if pushed and asked nicely
    whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

No. not a chance.

A 2 week lead time is more likely. Just find a contract starting in 2 weeks, and give your employer 2 weeks "take it or leave it" notice - they dont own you. Whats the worse they can do? Not pay you your last pay check? Big deal, you'll make that back and more during the first month contracting, assuming you have done the maths and got a proper rate.

And to be honest, they are much more likely to just pay up and let you go quitely.

Comment

For the love of allah, go ask your f8cking manager!

Christ, how hard is it for people to talk to each other?

But seriously, talk to your manager and see if you cant resolve things. But I would expect that there would be some time required for handing over the work you are currently involved in, which is fair enough.

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by jamescoleuk

How much holiday have you got coming? Could you ring in sick, if you smack the boss in the mouth they will fire you as they will if you sexualy harrass (sp?) the secretary. There are ways. Some better than others.

Think differently.

Have you considered asking? You never know they may be willing to let you go instead of paying you to do nothing.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

You wont get past the agent, he will put forward someone more available + many permies dip a toe in the water and then bottle it and stay where they are which makes the agent look a chump.
            If you really want to do this, tell the agent you are 2 weeks from leaving/already on notice/downsizing/outsourced etc etc. This makes you very keen and likely to take a job offered.
            Once you have the job, you will find things sort themselves out, client will wait a week or 2 if they really like you, processing docs etc takes a couple of weeks and if you sit down with your current company and explain you need out in 4 weeks, most wont even break sweat, they know you are going and wont do a thing for the last month anyway.
            Get the job, the rest is details.

Comment

Here's how I did it and got out of a supposed 3 month notice period.

1. Get the interview. Tell the agents what they want to hear, you can start in 2 weeks etc etc. In most situations it's the agent not the client that wants you to start tommorow, if not sooner.

2. When you get to the interview ask the client how soon they would want you to start. Don't commit to anything, but make positive noises. Most will say 3-4 weeks from the interview anyway.

3. Once you have the offer talk to your manager and tell him you are planning to leave and have a new role lined up. Tell him you want to leave in a time frame to match what the client wants and negotiate from there. Be positive about helping with handover etc.

4. Go back and talk to the agent. Tell them when you can start. The client wants you and the agent wants their cut. You have the bargaining power at this point so use it.

The key is to talk to people. Most managers and HR, unless they are bloody minded idiots, will not have a problem with negotiating your notice period.

If all else fails then inform your employer of your intention to leave on a set date and do it. The worst they can do is not give a referance and these days HR are so scared of getting sued you'll probably get one anyway, even if it only confirms your start and finish dates with the company.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Awesome advice, thanks.

Comment

After getting passed over by a bunch of agents that wanted an "immediate" start, I saved up a months wage and quit my permie job. As it turned out I got a gig before my notice period ran out and I've still got a months worth of £'s in the bank.

If your skills/experience are good enough you could just bite the bullet and take a leap of faith. Alternatively sexually harassing the secretary is a good option

Comment

When I jumped from permiedom I told my manager I was leaving, I wasn't going to do the three months notice in my contract and asked how soon could I go. We agreed on five working days.

Agreed I wasn't doing the most critical of roles there (merely running all the legacy systems that kept the company alive while they tried to get SAP to work...) and had a deputy in place ready to go, but if you don't ask you don't get.
                    And if you want to go freelance, nobody said it was easy. At some point you are going to have to step off the cliff...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X