• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime Rate Negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get paid overtime unless I need to work on Sunday then it's 1.5x. Overtime is for permies though if - I'm at work for 10 hours instead of 7.5 then that's just the way it is.

Comment

Feck me, overtime, canteen allowance, sick pay, whatever next.

No wonder IR35 came out of the woodwork..

Quote for the job, deliver, invoice.

HTH

Comment

Many contract jobs are now on a day rate basis, which is fine except for support roles, these are often considered minor and open to abuse as they flog you for extra hours.
        If you are on a decent rate - be tempted to swallow the pro rata i.e. you get the same rate for extra hours. Exception is weekends (when they usually want kit installed) ask for 1.5x rate and ask for it to be included even if they say there wont be any weekend work (there always is).
        Put timesheets in for every complete half hour you work but don't take the p1ss, a bit of flexibility = renewals = continued revenue stream.
        Once you have proved yourself for 6 months, ask for 10% rate rise at renewal.
        HTH

Comment

Many contract jobs are now on a day rate basis, which is fine except for support roles, these are often considered minor and open to abuse as they flog you for extra hours.
          this is the only reason i want an overtime rate agreed, as i know it will happen! I think the done thing would be to agree 1.5x for saturday and 2x for sunday and the normal good rate until 7pm weekdays, 1.5x afterwards

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
            Overtime is for permies.

Contractors get paid for results. Do you produce 1.5 times as much in an overtime hour as a normal one? You cannot argue you are a business if you expect an extra payment for something that is basically of no value.
            I have a contract for a set amount of hours per week, anything above and beyond that (unless it is required because I did something wrong) the client pays a premium, this is how you run a business and make a decent profit

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
              I have a contract for a set amount of hours per week, anything above and beyond that (unless it is required because I did something wrong) the client pays a premium, this is how you run a business and make a decent profit
              Rubbish, that is how you find yourself inside IR35.

tim

Comment

Working...
              X