• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overtime Rate Negotiation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtime Rate Negotiation

Probably been covered before but im in negotiations with an agency to work for a previous employer (sounds like they are really desperate for me come back and to work there).

I asked for them to negotiate an overtime rate (as i know it will happen) and ive got this back

"Overtime:This is at pro-rata rate and is at each individual Manager’s discretion"

a = what the hell does that mean to me? (im on an hourly rate)

b = whats the usual "status quo" with regards to overtime, i would have thought anything over the 8 hours standard day should be charges at 1.5x hourly rate??? is that right?

Yep. Get in in writing that 8 hours = x and anythign over and above 8 hours on a particular day is at 1.5 times the normal rate.

Comment

Pro-rata means hourly rate - work an extra hour you get paid an extra hour. If you get anything more than your normal hourly rate as a contractor you are doing well.

The manager has the authority to decide whether overtime is available, when and how much. If he says isn't available then it isn't. Normal stuff meaning you get overtime up to a delivery and none after.

Comment

im guessing its different for eveyone, just dependent on how good/lucky you were with negotiations...

Comment

Is this 2nd or 3rd line??

To build and install desktop and server systems in accordance with agreed procedures

To attend service or management meetings, as required

To produce and maintain operational and design documentation in accordance with Company procedures.

Comment

* Building Server Systems*

Comment

I get paid for a 7.5 hour day, any time over that is at 1.5x may pro-rata rate and Sundays, bank holidays 2x hourly rate
              SA says;
              Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              (whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport
                Is this 2nd or 3rd line??

To build and install desktop and server systems in accordance with agreed procedures

To attend service or management meetings, as required

To produce and maintain operational and design documentation in accordance with Company procedures.
                this is 1st line or 2nd line
                SA says;
                Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                (whatever these are)

Comment

Overtime is for permies.

Contractors get paid for results. Do you produce 1.5 times as much in an overtime hour as a normal one? You cannot argue you are a business if you expect an extra payment for something that is basically of no value.

(I accept that it might be reasonable to expect unsociable hours payments, but 18:00-19:00 is not most people's definition of an unsociable hour)

tim

Comment

I always charge per day and leave it at that... If i can't get what i need to get done within a day then its probably my fault

If they expect or ask for too much then I warn them of which time scales will suffer. If it came down to me having to work longer than a "reasonable" then I might need to discuss extra payments with them.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X