• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For Scooty (what short selling means)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Scooty (what short selling means)

Scooty owns a brand new car.

DimPrawn thinks Scooty's car will fall in value very soon and it is overpriced.

DimPrawn borrows Scooty's car and sells it quickly for cash.

DimPrawn waits, and low and behold, as the value of Scooty's car has now fallen, he can buy it back at a lower price than it was sold for.

DimPrawn gives Scooty back his car that DimPrawn borrowed.

Dimprawn now has the difference between the price DimPrawn sold it for, and the lower price he bought it back for.

DimPrawn has made a cash profit and Scooty still has his car.

Note - At no point did DimPrawn own Scooty's car, but DimPrawn was able to sell it.

HTH BIDI

Comment

I hope Scooty doesn't notice it is now a different colour or the dubious stains on the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I hope Scooty doesn't notice it is now a different colour or the dubious stains on the seats.

You never mention that you'd sold it to the Heathrow Thistle...
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Note - At no point did DimPrawn own Scooty's car, but DimPrawn was able to sell it
          You did not get him the same car back - so in effect you owe him his unique car, court ordered compensation and civil penalties leave DimPrawn deep in debt to Wilmslow’s mafia neighbours.

Don’t short sell folks - you will lose yer shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            You never mention that you'd sold it to the Heathrow Thistle...

nah it was the second 'lady' owner NLyUK for the new stains.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Scooty owns a brand new car.

DimPrawn thinks Scooty's car will fall in value very soon and it is overpriced.

DimPrawn borrows Scooty's car and sells it quickly for cash.

DimPrawn waits, and low and behold, as the value of Scooty's car has now fallen, he can buy it back at a lower price than it was sold for.
              Should be "Lo and behold".

But if for some weird reason, like not buying a car but investing in shares, the value were to go up since you shorted, then DimPrawn suddenly finds himself at a loss.

I know it's obvious, but some people here are really very dim.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

smells a bit fishy too

Comment

Why do you think 'short selling' is the same as 'going short' or its opposite 'going long'. We all read what we want to.

Find a thread where I said I'm 'short selling' a particular stock or crypto (i.e using borrow money) - you'll not find it.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X