• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Roy Jenkins

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy Jenkins

Last Labour Home Secretary I had any respect for. Am I forgetting anyone?

Originally posted by expat
    Last Labour Home Secretary I had any respect for. Am I forgetting anyone?
    Likeable, interesting yes, but good at his job????
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      Likeable, interesting yes, but good at his job????
      Didn't do much, maybe that's what I liked. I am not convinced that government in general, and the Home Office in particular, gets better and better by doing more and more.

But my lack of respect (no, it is stronger than that) for most Labour Home Secretaries omes from the enthusiastic ease with which they jump to removing liberties for no great gain. And who the hell is Blunkett to complain of suspects' rights being abused?

Comment

Agree with that criteria. Best PM we ever had was Sir Alec Douglas-Home for same reason, he did absolutely sweet FA that I can recall.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Roy writes a good book.

Comment

Ah, I remember when the Grocer was PM. Salad days.

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
              Ah, I remember when the Grocer was PM. Salad days.
              No, they weren't. It was a crabbed and small-minded government. Thatcher without the vision.

Comment

No, they weren't. It was a crabbed and small-minded government. Thatcher without the vision.
                or the mad staring eyes and hysterical delusions....
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm talking about my salad days, not the Grocer Government! I didn't care about them.

I remember that era for T Rex and Gary Glitter, Derby County winning the league under Clough, Chelsea turning sh1t, dancing lessons with my mate's sister, fishing and playing footy, and caddying at Dyrham Park Golf and Country Club near Potters Bar.

Comment

Working...
                  X