• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock market - how low will it go

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I once made a killing my accidentally putting a spread bet the wrong way on oil prices. Never managed to replicate that so I tend not to bother any more.
    slick move
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
      slick move
      I was rather pleased but knew it was a fluke of epic proportions

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I was rather pleased but knew it was a fluke of epic proportions
        I *think* that it's generally recommended that one stays away from crazy indices, commodities, mining stocks... that said, I've never been one for taking advice.

Carnival PLC (cruises) has been a consistently good short over the last few days.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

10 mins to yanky land opening - could be the biggest uS lost in history and 6000 here we go on the FTSE

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            10 mins to yanky land opening - could be the biggest uS lost in history and 6000 here we go on the FTSE

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            It's gonna fly!!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              I'd LOVE to be a fly on the wall of Trumpian's office whilst the stocks are tumbling.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

As it happened I checked my stocks ISA just before all this kicked off. Checked today and I am down ~10%. How's that compare to the FTSE and other people's portfolio downturns?

I was toying with the idea of selling it all and sitting waiting but I doubt I'll bother. Stocks are something I rarely look at ... money goes in, I let my dealer advise me, and typically I have no idea what they're worth. I plan to check in about 20 years if my portfolio is worth anything
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  As it happened I checked my stocks ISA just before all this kicked off. Checked today and I am down ~10%. How's that compare to the FTSE and other people's portfolio downturns?

I was toying with the idea of selling it all and sitting waiting but I doubt I'll bother. Stocks are something I rarely look at ... money goes in, I let my dealer advise me, and typically I have no idea what they're worth. I plan to check in about 20 years if my portfolio is worth anything
                  Keeping investing, drip feeding in. But don't buy the FTSE100, it's useless because the UK economy is in tatters and we all know the Tories and Labour are intent on destroying it. Buy overseas funds instead.

If you must buy UK, try the FTSE250 instead. But seriously, UK is in a pile of dung and it won't improve in our lifetimes.

Comment

2nd don't buy the FTSE 100. Invest in nothing. Just hold cash. In a recession cash is King.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      2nd don't buy the FTSE 100. Invest in nothing. Just hold cash. In a recession cash is King.
                      Not tulipcoins?

Comment

Working...
                      X