• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I can't think of anything that won't get bobbed eventually, even extremely technical stuff like data science, there is a production line of statistics Phds all the way back to Beijing and Delhi.

As far as devops is concerned I am surprised that companies are willing to pay so much for engineers who know how to put a kubernetes cluster together efficiently when most of the time a simple cloud native solution would have done.
    I volunteer as a mentor for an organisation called Meet a Mentor which is primarily a developer and other techies community. One suggestion I always give to people who are considering how to develop their skills is to spend as much time thinking about the softer skills as well as technical. In the long run, I think we'll see many roles and skills eventually become commoditised through a combination of over supply, outsourcing and automation. Developing skills like creativity, problem solving, innovation and communication will increase your chances of good roles in the long term. They are also the things that are harder to get from outsourcing partners or obviously automation.
    Last edited by edison; 17 February 2020, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      watch IR35 blow over, whilst working on my plan B
      I'm always interested to hear what people's Plan B is - care to share yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
        I'm always interested to hear what people's Plan B is - care to share yours?
        My plan B appears to be the same as yours. Nick everyone else's ideas and then try do it better.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          My plan B appears to be the same as yours. Nick everyone else's ideas and then try do it better.
          Mine is win lottery and retire.

Hmm, would withdrawing all cash in ltd and buying lottery tickets count as "investments"?

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
            Mine is win lottery and retire.

Hmm, would withdrawing all cash in ltd and buying lottery tickets count as "investments"?
            I hope so...

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              How many lines of code do you average a week?

Before agile I did about 10000 back in the day

Now as a PM I see about 10 from an entire team

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Lines of code are a notoriously bad metric.

A better developer will produce fewer lines of code. A better developer still will actively reduce the number of lines of code.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                Lines of code are a notoriously bad metric.

A better developer will produce fewer lines of code. A better developer still will actively reduce the number of lines of code.
                10000 was fully optimised

Comment

That's one line of code every 3 seconds, non stop, for 8 hours. I can barely type that fast, so I struggle to think that you were stopping to think about whether you were applying the best approach.

When picking up an agile ticket I can spend a good hour exploring the various possible solutions, and not typing any code: which is most performant? Which will be the most maintainable? Which will work best with with future features coming up?

Then maybe refactoring existing code to prepare for the new code, then refactoring afterwards to keep the code base clean. Often I will end up with fewer lines of code than when I started, but with a new feature added.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                    That's one line of code every 3 seconds, non stop, for 8 hours. I can barely type that fast, so I struggle to think that you were stopping to think about whether you were applying the best approach.

When picking up an agile ticket I can spend a good hour exploring the various possible solutions, and not typing any code: which is most performant? Which will be the most maintainable? Which will work best with with future features coming up?

Then maybe refactoring existing code to prepare for the new code, then refactoring afterwards to keep the code base clean. Often I will end up with fewer lines of code than when I started, but with a new feature added.
                    You would not have survived in core banking days or cobol and RPG - code still running 85% of all banks world wide

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X