• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Client's Cafe and other services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Client's Cafe and other services

I was told that if outside IR35 I am not permitted to use the clients cafe? Is this true even if the cafe is outsourced to another company and not subsidized? I am not talking about claiming the cafe costs as expenses, simply paying for it out of my own personal bank account. Do vending machines apply to this as well, if not why not?

What about other services, for example an in house massage service, that staff have to pay for to use and is not subsidized and is completely paid for when used only. Is that permitted for outside Ir35 contractors?

If the use of the Cafe is not permitted what about the bathrooms? I know the bathrooms are subsidized, they are cleaned by the company and they supply toilet paper. Do i have to bring my own toilet paper to work if i am outside ir35? Maybe HMRC expect me to rent a portaloo and stick it outside the front door of the law firm i work at. I am just trying to find out exactly what i can and can't use being outside IR35. I have no problem bringing in my own toilet paper if that is what HMRC wants me to do and yes I would claim the toilet paper on expenses if it was a requirement.

Oh dear.

If the client's policy for using any facilities they offer is that they are only available to permanent employees then, no, you shouldn't use them. If their policy is that anyone working at the site, or even just visiting, can access these services on demand then you can carry on using them.

The subsidy thing is neither here nor there if the client chooses to make the facilities available to everyone.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 29 January 2020, 13:47.

Comment

Mods, trolling?
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        Mods, trolling?
        This is a serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterSim View Post
          Then you are really stretching the limits of what a serious question is.

Try applying a bit of logic and common sense.

Comment

It really isn't. Ladymuck answered the only part of your tulipe that could reasonably be assumed to be in good faith. Now, off you pop and read a few more stickies.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

The first question may be serious. The rest sounds like you are having a laugh.

Remember you are getting free advice here. If you really want proper advice, pay for it. Even then, HMRC might just change their minds.

Personally, I hope this thread is moved to general....

Comment

Moved to general. Peter's "thought experiments" have all been answered before.

Or to put it another way, it's this kind of unprofessional attitude, where someone doesn't know the difference between person and business, and doesn't care, these attitudes are why HMRC, etc go after contractors who abuse the system.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I was told that if outside IR35 I am not permitted to use the clients cafe?
                  Who told you that?
                  What was the context that they told it to you?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I was told that if outside IR35 I am not permitted to use the clients cafe? Is this true even if the cafe is outsourced to another company and not subsidized? I am not talking about claiming the cafe costs as expenses, simply paying for it out of my own personal bank account. Do vending machines apply to this as well, if not why not?

What about other services, for example an in house massage service, that staff have to pay for to use and is not subsidized and is completely paid for when used only. Is that permitted for outside Ir35 contractors?

If the use of the Cafe is not permitted what about the bathrooms? I know the bathrooms are subsidized, they are cleaned by the company and they supply toilet paper. Do i have to bring my own toilet paper to work if i am outside ir35? Maybe HMRC expect me to rent a portaloo and stick it outside the front door of the law firm i work at. I am just trying to find out exactly what i can and can't use being outside IR35. I have no problem bringing in my own toilet paper if that is what HMRC wants me to do and yes I would claim the toilet paper on expenses if it was a requirement.
                    I got outside for a poo, any poo inside is caught under IR35

You do take your own oxygen tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X