• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas dinner plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not gonna lie, ordered a Turkey Crown and a load of oven veggies from Sainsbury's. I've cooked "properly" from scratch the last few years, but between the house building works and having a three year old running about I just can't be arsed.

So, Turkey Crown and trimmings for us and the mother in law. Out for a big boxing day dinner on, uh, boxing day

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

You're welcome to join us, if you can get to Switzerland.

We'll give you beans on toast.
      Thanks for the offer, NAT! Perhaps you should extend the invitation to Zeity....

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Beans on toast.

Bah fecking humbug.

Comment

That'll be not enough soaking in brandy.
        No. Just not dried fruit fans.

Comment

If I had any culinary skills it'd be a partridge with a pear sauce for Christmas, two turtle doves for Boxing day and so on. I'd have to be a bit more inventive from five onion rings onwards.

Comment

I just got 2kg of organic 3 week dry-aged T-bone joint (Added bonus - got 25% price reduction at the till, courtesy of a today-only offer). ?
            and only CHF2500.00

Comment

Nothing wrong with taking shortcuts. It's the sharing and caring that matters...

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              Thanks for the offer, NAT! Perhaps you should extend the invitation to Zeity....
              Ah, dear old Zeity. We always pour a dram for him at Christmas, but so far he hasn't turned up. He's always welcome, even if greenlake roles up. We might let him have some beef.

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              and only CHF2500.00
              Not far off. But the ridiculous profit margin allows for a 25% discounts, so think how much I've saved!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Steamed toffee pudding with ginger sauce can work well. Possibly it's the other way round.

Comment

I do the cooking in our house - we'll have ten for dinner eating a very large goose, legs and wings removed and confited on Monday, breasts cooked as a crown on the day. All the trimmings (PiB, cauli cheese, roasties, parsnips, stuffing, gravy) but no starter other than smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels late morning. Taittinger Comtes 2006 as an aperitif, Chave Hermitage 1995 with the goose. There may be a bottle of something else nice open to lubricate the chef as necessary prior to sitting down. Chocolate yule log and blackberry and apple crumble to follow. Then a long lie down while someone else tidies up.

Comment

Well after lapland on Xmas eve we are off to a Pub Xmas day as Mrs V's mum fancied going out, as she is in the later stages of her youth, cooking Turkey with all the trimmings would be hard work. This way she can enjoy treating us without breaking a sweat.

Boxing day is at Chez V with My side so >14 to cater for (people tend to turn up normally Xmas eve but we will e away so I sort of expect a few extra guests popping in on boxing day) and will have Lamb, Cold cuts and lashings of ginger beer / vino / spirits.

Hopefully some Xmas pud as I do love it once a year. Mrs V is always ready to accommodate me.
                    Last edited by vetran; 21 December 2019, 23:53.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

SFA by the sounds of it. Don't get back into Germany until tomorrow sometime and will be sleeping jetlag off so shopping might be a bit difficult. Shops are only open until 12 on the 24th and still need to do some pressie shopping so it could all be a little tight, or eating out....Mind you, Christmas isn't a real big deal in our household
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X