• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who else agrees....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of. White tie has never lost its sparkle. Black tie can end up feeling like a double-glazing sales managers' annual conference unless the setting is right. But nothing else puts you in leisure mode quite like it.

Though I would say: it's only a tuxedo if you're American. If you're British (and you should be), it's a dinner jacket. Because it's a synecdoche (as is "black tie" itself) and there aren't many of them around these days.

Comment

And more outrageous behavior seems to be the norm at black tie do's. Maybe it's the freely available champers but the only time I've seen a couple having full on sex on a staircase was at one of these do's. (Do murmur 'Evening' as you pass, or ignore? I chose the ignore option..)

And there's nothing quite a sexy as a man with an undone black tie at the end of the evening. [sigh]

It was worth the price of the ball gown...
      Last edited by cojak; 12 January 2007, 20:05.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

And it has to be a proper one that you tie yourself (taking several attempts) rather than some clip on or velcro affair.

Comment

Last time I wore a suit was to my grandmother's funeral. I don't wear them if I can help it. If I can't get in without a suit, I don't go. It's a ridiculous idea that dressing up like a Victorian == smart. You can be just as smart in a decent shirt and a clean pair of jeans.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
            Last time I wore a suit was to my grandmother's funeral. I don't wear them if I can help it. If I can't get in without a suit, I don't go. It's a ridiculous idea that dressing up like a Victorian == smart. You can be just as smart in a decent shirt and a clean pair of jeans.
            you are missing the point
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
              Tux and charlie - a winning combination.
              Man after my own heart

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                I agree with dodgy, you are completely missing the point.

A friend of my son went to join my son's golf club last year. He lasted two days, having got the hump about dress code. He missed the point as well.

Comment

Working...
                X