• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you define "contractor attitude"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
    When people talk about getting their first contract, I hear that agents and clients are looking for the right "contractor attitude" and many permies struggle with that.

What do you consider contractor attitude?

Being happy to bring our own lube.

HTH.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Anytime I've ever met someone who wears the ''contractor attitude' on their sleeve they tend to give all the impression they'd happily eat canned dog food for lunch if they could claim it on expenses, without it looking weird if they had to cough up the receipts.
      Tight fisted, penny pinching fun vampires.

But I suspect that's not what you're asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Guesstimator View Post
        Anytime I've ever met someone who wears the ''contractor attitude' on their sleeve they tend to give all the impression they'd happily eat canned dog food for lunch if they could claim it on expenses, without it looking weird if they had to cough up the receipts.
        Tight fisted, penny pinching fun vampires.

But I suspect that's not what you're asking...
        Reminds me of my first contract. A fellow contractor (who I guess was on 500 quid a day) stayed 4 nights a week in the Slough Travelodge and dined alone in his room each night on end of day reduced Tesco sandwiches.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Reminds me of my first contract. A fellow contractor (who I guess was on 500 quid a day) stayed 4 nights a week in the Slough Travelodge and dined alone in his room each night on end of day reduced Tesco sandwiches.
          How does that compare to the Thistle Heathrow, one wonders...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            How does that compare to the Thistle Heathrow, one wonders...
            Better standard of guest.

Comment

Originally posted by ProfitableContractor View Post
              When people talk about getting their first contract, I hear that agents and clients are looking for the right "contractor attitude" and many permies struggle with that.

What do you consider contractor attitude?

Being a complete doormat.

Scratching the client's back whilst waiting for them to drive a knife into yours. And then apologising for staining their knife with your blood.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                With our level of modding that's gonna be about 1006 before the decent thing is done.
                Oh, the irony

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                JohntheBike and NorthernladUK

Ignoring my instruction.

And because they ignored me multiple times, I thought that a one day ban would just be brushed aside again.

So a 7 day ban it is.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Oh, the irony
                  Has there been fun that I've missed?
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I define contractor latitude, longitude and altitude as roughly the same position on the ellipsoid as Monaco.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      If you don't know you we can't tell you.
                      Indeed - the first rule of Contractor Attitude Club is that we don't talk about contractor attitude club.

But fortunately I'm not a member of them - I'm in the Attitude Contractor Club , so can run my mouth without consequence.

Contractor attitude basically means not whinging about the sorts of things that permies whinge about, and just getting on with the job without complaint.

1. Don't complain if the client gives you work that bears no resemblance to the skillset you were hired for.
                      2. Don't complain if the client ends your contract early, or tells you not to come in today as they have no work for you.
                      3. Don't get involved with office politics.
                      4. Don't park your Maserati in the car park where jealous permies will see it. The same applies to aeroplanes.
                      5. Don't talk about your rate, or that you average 150 days "holiday" per year, if you do.
                      6. Don't talk about expenses or other trifling matters.
                      7. Listen politely to permies' tales of woe, but be sure to stifle your gaffaws at their petty concerns and general retardedness.
                      8. Keep a straight face when the client reveals a plan that you know will lose them millions, but politely suggest alternative plans to save their ass.
                      9. Don't act surprised when they reject your suggestions (part of your job is to help them learn from their mistakes, so make sure they are whoppers).
                      10. Work very hard in the first few days of the gig, so the client gets an imprint in their minds that you are highly productive. This illusion can last for several extensions if properly cultivated.

Comment

Working...
                      X