• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official EU results thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    I was replying to the statement that with a hard brexit there is NO solution to the Irish border. My response was that there is always a solution. In fact there are probably many solutions. Both sides of the border UK and EU just need to choose and agree one that works for both parties. In this case IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO.

My post asked for justified reasoning as to why a hard brexit leads to NO Irish border solution
    I did not say that. As usual, you twisted my words.
    Let me quote myself

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Simply. If you support a hard Brexit, with no solution to the Irish border, then you support reigniting the troubles. It's that simple. Surely even you understand cause & effect.
    I am waiting to hear of a solution to the Irish border. All I hear is "there is a solution", "there are many solutions", etc, but no actual workable solution has been suggested yet.
    It's like listening to Trump. Lots of words, but just hot air.

Go on, tell us one of your many solutions to the Irish border that will keep 17.4million UK voters happy without breaching the GFA.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      The grammar and sentence structure we're fine. It was just a semantic mess.
      Corbyn won't like a semantic mess....

Comment

The Official EU results thread

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        It has to be done while there is still a chance of mustering a majority for Leave. Their majority is slowly disappearing.
        We’re way too far down the rabbit hole now, personally I don’t think the U.K. has any reasonable option left but to leave if it wants a chance to undo some of the divide in the country. However, there is “Leave NOW” and “leave slowly, dismantling the connections one by one giving people and businesses enough time to adjust while we figure out what the future relationship will look like”.

I don’t see the point in risking chaos just for the sake of it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So you don't believe in democracy?
          In 2017 the electorate scuppered Brexit.

If the electorate had voted in the Tories with an overwhelming majority the UK would be out. The Remoaners all voted for Labour.

That's the problem, democracy has stopped Brexit.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            personally I don’t think the U.K. has any reasonable option left but to leave if it wants a chance to undo some of the divide in the country.
            I am not sure anything will heal the divide in the country.

Comment

Is it unjustified to say that enforcing a border in Ireland could reignite The Troubles?

No.

Please prove otherwise.

By enforcing the border between the UK and Ireland, in breach of the GFA and years of effort at maintaining peace.

https://assets.publishing.service.go.../agreement.pdf
              http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDat...9583116_EN.pdf
              What is the Good Friday Agreement, why was it drawn up in 1998 and did the Anglo-Irish deal bring peace to Northern Ireland?

Ah so now you are trying to change the argument. Your orinal statement was that a hard brexit had NO solution to the Irish border. What you appear to now be saying (having changed your mind) is that a hard brexit can only lead to a hard border. All I said was that what ever the brexit it is upto BOTH SIDES to determine the type of border across Ireland. Who will enforce this border between UK and Ireland. The EU? or the UK? or Both? or Neither?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                In 2017 the electorate scuppered Brexit.

If the electorate had voted in the Tories with an overwhelming majority the UK would be out. The Remoaners all voted for Labour.

That's the problem, democracy has stopped Brexit.
                So you do accept the 2016 result then.

However I believe Westminster has stopped Brexit. ~500 MPs voted to trigger A50. 29th March the UK should have left.

For that reason, I now trust Brussels rather than Westminster.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Enforcing a border would probably kick the troubles off again. It must not happen.
                  Exactly. But as yet, there's been no solution offered, just empty words about how one will be found.

Find the solution, agree the solution, then with an agreed solution in place, things can move forward.

That agreed solution needs to be made with all relevant parties involved. That means at a minimum the Westminster and Dublin governments and the Belfast Assembly.

Comment

Ah so now you are trying to change the argument. Your orinal statement was that a hard brexit had NO solution to the Irish border.
                    Please provide the quote where I said "a hard brexit had NO solution to the Irish border."

What you appear to now be saying (having changed your mind) is that a hard brexit can only lead to a hard border.
                    Please provide evidence that I have changed my mind. I've even quoted myself, since you are well known for not understanding how to quote people (did you ever check your personal transcript of what Andrew Marr said compared to the reality of what he actually said?)

All I said was that what ever the brexit it is upto BOTH SIDES to determine the type of border across Ireland. Who will enforce this border between UK and Ireland. The EU? or the UK? or Both? or Neither?
                    So you've changed your mind, eh? You want there to be an agreement that will satisfy the UK's desire to leave the EU and the related requirements around borders - something that 17.4 million people in the UK voted for, but while you voted for it, you're wanting someone else to come up with ideas.

Comment

Exactly. But as yet, there's been no solution offered, just empty words about how one will be found.
                      The solution is that the UK will not enforce a border. What is wrong with that?

Comment

Working...
                      X