• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Coloured' not PC anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    and i care what a rock spider thinks
    Oh, you care ......... you care

Edit: had to look up the term 'rock spider'. Can't work out if you're referring to me as the Australian definition or SA definition. Strange either way as I'm neither an Aussie or a Saffer. To help you out, I'm from the heart of the Black Country (Tipton to be more specific) .... YamYam is a more normal insult for where I'm from

rock spider
    See also: rockspider
    Noun
    rock spider (plural rock spiders)

(Australia, slang, prison slang) A pedophile or child molester.
    (South Africa, offensive, slang) A Boer or Afrikaner.
    Last edited by Whorty; 8 March 2019, 10:23.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Just read some comments on the Amber Rudd Tweet and apparently

"coloured" = not OK
      "Person of colour" = OK

For now...

Anyone know the woke term?
      Last edited by Jog On; 8 March 2019, 11:39.
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Was it ever politically correct? Asking for a South African friend.
        I'll have to ask my South African coloured relatives you fecking snowflake.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Just read some comments on the Amber Rudd Tweet and apparently

"coloured" = not OK
          "Person of colour" = OK

For now...

Anyone know the woke term?
          Person?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Referring to people by their skin colour seems ok to me, in the same way as referring to their hair or eye colour. It's the classification of people according to skin colour that's stupid. "So and so is black". No, they're a chocolatey brown. Or have darker skin than the pale fellow over there.
            Wat?

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              If you call a South African coloured ,black, then I hope you have a good health insurance as you may end up in Groot Schuur hospital.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                If you call a South African coloured ,black, then I hope you have a good health insurance as you may end up in Groot Schuur hospital.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                Groote

In South Africa, "Cape Coloureds" are a mixed race group

Cape Coloureds - Wikipedia

From wikipedia

"The term "coloured" is currently treated as a neutral description in Southern Africa, classifying people of mixed race ancestry. Since 1994, at the beginning of "The new South Africa", the term Cape Coloured became a badge of honor to this group of people.

Once used in the Western countries as well, especially so in North America, the term has shifted in meaning and is now regarded as derogatory in the Western World; a newly-coined term "person of color" has since become common and preferred by the members of the community and the general populace. This term tends to mean any non-white person, as opposed to a mixed-race person, where the term "multiracial" is used. "Coloured" may also be seen as offensive in some other western countries, such as Britain."

If you're in South Africa, use the term if appropriate. If you're in the UK, don't. It's not that difficult.

Comment

Why the need to 'classify' someone by their skin colour anyway? 'Black' people aren't black and 'White' people aren't white.

Would you refer to 'that Jew in the finance team' or 'the Dwarf in the testing team'? No.

I don't see why these Gammons get so upset by perceived PCness taking away their right to offend others. Well, I do, it's because they are a bunch of cretins.
                  Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                    Why the need to 'classify' someone by their skin colour anyway? 'Black' people aren't black and 'White' people aren't white.

Would you refer to 'that Jew in the finance team' or 'the Dwarf in the testing team'? No.

I don't see why these Gammons get so upset by perceived PCness taking away their right to offend others. Well, I do, it's because they are a bunch of cretins.
                    If I "offend" you, tough tulip. So you're "offended", so what.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      At least you posted in the open this time, instead of just in my notifications.

Off you jog, ask them if they like being called coloured then come back and let us know. If you've got the balls.

Comment

Working...
                      X