• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dental Implant Issue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dental Implant Issue

I know this is not a dentist / forum lol but I'm bloody desperate so thought I would ask.

Cut along story short, had implant 10 years upper left 5, since Oct last year had discomfort in the jaw in implant area, teeth if tapped appear fine no pain, also seen facial maxi surgeon, had CT scans, OPG's, MRI's and cant find issue, I'm living on pain killers, its not tooth pain its a nagging dull ache fullness feeling in cheek but its bad enough I cant concentrate, I'm pretty sure its not my sinus as I don't have cold etc. I've spent a lot of money so far and got no were literally its just trying things to see if it sorts it, it was mentioned it could be something called 'Peri Implantitus' where you get infection living in thread of implant and bone loss though its not evident on the xrays the treatment for peri implantitus is a few grand, to date I've spent £1.4k and not resolved it . Has anyone else had peri implantitus and can they describe there symptoms ? The other option is start extracting teeth around the implant one has a root canal in but again I'm being told this is not the issue.

WebMD says it's cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      WebMD says it's cancer.
      Not that you were to know but my old man has terminal brain cancer and has a few weeks to live so not funny.

Comment

I've had periodontitis and sometimes it can be quite painful with no obvious external symptoms for a Dentist. That dull ache you describe is exactly what you can experience.

Try prodding around with a small interdental brush in all your gum cavities. You might find a painful spot and then put in some Chlorhex gel.

If not go and see an Oral Surgeon, not a Dentist. They're experts. If it carries on sounds like you need the implant to be replaced.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I've had periodontitis and sometimes it can be quite painful with no obvious external symptoms for a Dentist. That dull ache you describe is exactly what you can experience.

Try prodding around with a small interdental brush in all your gum cavities. You might find a painful spot and then put in some Chlorhex gel.

If not go and see an Oral Surgeon, not a Dentist. They're experts. If it carries on sounds like you need the implant to be replaced.
          Thanks I will have a google for an Oral Surgeon do they tend to be part of a normal dental practice or separate ? When you had symptoms did the teeth themselves have no pain but it was kind of the root / jaw part ? I'm just surprised not one dentist I've seen has suggested it, they all seemed to keen to sort other issues they found and thought could be the cause I've had 2 fillings and crown since Oct, Ive had so many xrays. I have been seeing a Consultant Maxillofacial and Facial Cosmetic Surgeon on my private health care she may be looked in my mouth once but mainly sent me for MRI's etc seemed to focusing on ruling out my brain being the cause, but I guess with my dads history its prudent.

cheers
          Last edited by BoggyMcCBoggyFace; 25 February 2019, 14:23.

Comment

I had a similar pain that wasn't diagnosable via xrays and other non-invasive methods. The dentist decided to do exploratory surgery to check what was happening at the root/bone level where the pain was occurring, to be sure before doing anything more drastic/irreversible that may have been wrong. Was a very simple procedure to open up the gum for a look then stitch it back up afterwards.

Turned out to be infection of a failing crown which IIRC was treated successfully with antibiotics. Though eventually the crown and root was removed when the infection flared up again, and replaced with an implant that has been ok so far.

Any signs of gum pain and I blast the area with mouthwash and check for any food debris stuck in between gum and tooth and hope the pain goes away before a trip to the dentist is required. Bloody teeth, who invented them.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a lot of stress going on at the moment - could it be that you're grinding your teeth at night or something which might be causing or exacerbating the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
                Thanks I will have a google for an Oral Surgeon do they tend to be part of a normal dental practice or separate ? When you had symptoms did the teeth themselves have no pain but it was kind of the root / jaw part ? I'm just surprised not one dentist I've seen has suggested it, they all seemed to keen to sort other issues they found and thought could be the cause I've had 2 fillings and crown since Oct, Ive had so many xrays. I have been seeing a Consultant Maxillofacial and Facial Cosmetic Surgeon on my private health care she may be looked in my mouth once but mainly sent me for MRI's etc seemed to focusing on ruling out my brain being the cause, but I guess with my dads history its prudent.

cheers
                If the gums are not swollen, not bleeding, not sore to touch, teeth not loose and the sits gum tightly on the tooth then you haven't got periodontitis or the equivalent with implants.

It sounds like it is something else.

Oral surgeons are more highly qualified than Dentists and work in hospitals, they deal with problems which are more difficult to deal with. Normally your Dentist should refer you.

eg Imperial College Healthcare | Oral surgery
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 25 February 2019, 14:43.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for replies tbh its felt like everyone I have seen more interested in the £ they can make from me rather than help.

I did think myself about grinding / stress as dentists before all this started thought I did but in morning when I wake the discomfort is at its least.

Ive just booked to see Oral Surgeon there fees are high but I got a rainy day fund and this is my rainy day lol. This is opg implant to the right.

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
                    I know this is not a dentist / forum lol but I'm bloody desperate so thought I would ask.

Cut along story short, had implant 10 years upper left 5, since Oct last year had discomfort in the jaw in implant area, teeth if tapped appear fine no pain, also seen facial maxi surgeon, had CT scans, OPG's, MRI's and cant find issue, I'm living on pain killers, its not tooth pain its a nagging dull ache fullness feeling in cheek but its bad enough I cant concentrate, I'm pretty sure its not my sinus as I don't have cold etc. I've spent a lot of money so far and got no were literally its just trying things to see if it sorts it, it was mentioned it could be something called 'Peri Implantitus' where you get infection living in thread of implant and bone loss though its not evident on the xrays the treatment for peri implantitus is a few grand, to date I've spent £1.4k and not resolved it . Has anyone else had peri implantitus and can they describe there symptoms ? The other option is start extracting teeth around the implant one has a root canal in but again I'm being told this is not the issue.
                    My denitist is in Prague, I have used him for 20 years and he is an expert in impants. PM me if you want details.
                    Last edited by Paddy; 25 February 2019, 22:24.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X