• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gatwick Chaos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police release first picture of Gatwick drone suspect

Comment

BUSTED: Two arrested in drone disruption at Gatwick - Sussex Police

Comment

Possibly flying in to LGW tonight. BA have put on extra planes so ours should be OK. Row 1, as ever.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

BBC reports it was a man and a woman.

Gatwick drones: Two arrested over flight disruption - BBC News

If not the perps, I wonder what else they may have been doing at 10pm in an isolated area.

If it was them then likely ecowarriors or someone with a real grudge against the airport. We'll see if more details are released to confirm all over or if perps still at large.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Possibly flying in to LGW tonight. BA have put on extra planes so ours should be OK. Row 1, as ever.
            If they cancel the flight, you could always get a drone, they're still flying...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Surely consumer drones use a frequency for remote control that is not interfering with airports or aircraft so just jam that frequency around the airfield border.

Also, if planes are built to withstand bird strikes then surely a small plastic drone ain't going to do as much damage as a frozen turkey or whatever they use to test such things.

I therefore feel this is not a technical problem but more of typical governing/management slowness to implement workable solutions in practice. This incident should at least speed that up somewhat.

Strange that flights were suspended for a while at around 3am but when re-started at around 4am the drones came back, suggesting maliciousness or indeed terrorism.
              Birds don't have lithium batteries up their butts...

Also theres a difference between surviving a bird strike and landing safely and surviving a bird strike and not having a couple hundred k of damage...

Comment

Reports now that the two people arrested were moving around the area on bicycles. They had a couple of drones which could be quickly broken down and stored in panniers or some such; they were caught when somebody spotted them doing just that.

Best of all: they'd often been in plain view of police/security while doing their thing, but they wore wore hi-vis jackets. And as we all know, wearing a hi-vis jacket automatically makes people assume you must be there on some kind of official business, so they don't notice you

I don't know if this info is correct, but the Twitter source is a chap who provides informed comment to news organisations on aviation security matters, so he probably has good sources

JULIANBRAY on Twitter: "#gatwick #drones arrested person wearing hi- viz vest and cycle helmet. Motorist says two drones one 4 ft wide, had flashing lights. Using a pushbike perp. constantly moved, used back streets footway paths and was 'in plain sight' of security forces most of the time says source.… https://t.co/uYg0Zf2aUm"

Comment

Gatwick drone: Identities of arrested couple revealed

WTF!

She looks like the type of wife who makes him sit in silence when strictly is on.

This can't be right.

Comment

Have they arrested the right people? He's ex-army, is he taking one for the team as a ploy?
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Conflicting reports. One via twitter saying perps caught red handed at scene.

Others saying suspects arrested at home after posting drone review two years ago. Guy was at work when incident was ongoing.

Hope it's the former as the latter smells fishy. More precisely red herring.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X