• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client thinks that I am not doing work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogquoteplus View Post
    When is IR35 an issue? In case someone from HMRC comes and checks the office one fine day ?
    Also my contract is quite vague on my remit at this contract. So by reading it one should get "ok so you're a software developer", and that's about it.
    Spoken like a true disguised employee.

So you say your contract is vague. Do you think that is acceptable?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If you know that you can't do anything useful until next Wednesday, explain to your manager that rather than charge them for not doing much, you'll leave the office now and you'll be back on Wednesday, when you will be able to progress,
      That's a very good suggestion actually, I haven't thought about it, thanks. I might try it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Spoken like a true disguised employee.

So you say your contract is vague. Do you think that is acceptable?
        I've no idea, enlight away please.

Comment

I just reviewed my contract check, and one suggestion point is to be more specific on the nature of services provided and with clearer deliverables...

Is it too late to phone up the agency and tell them to review it?

Comment

Imagine someone tells you, go and work with team X, and that team is not there. You can't do much, can you.
            And that is why you'll never work your way up the foodchain.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              And that is why you'll never work your way up the foodchain.
              That's precisely why.

Comment

If there really is no work to do, you might consider taking some days off unpaid. That would potentially appease a manager jealous of your contract rates, allowing him to work with you in a more constructive fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Do you have a date when things will be unblocked? Is there a specific meeting that you need to have first? If you know that you can't do anything useful until next Wednesday, explain to your manager that rather than charge them for not doing much, you'll leave the office now and you'll be back on Wednesday, when you will be able to progress,
                  what nat said. i frequently offer to stay away until stuff that is blocked happens. in fact, i am currently on hold waiting for stuff.

Comment

I just reviewed my contract check, and one suggestion point is to be more specific on the nature of services provided and with clearer deliverables...

Is it too late to phone up the agency and tell them to review it?
                    If you've already signed it then yes it's too late.

It's pretty immaterial though. You may have a contract that on the surface puts you outside IR35 but if the working practises don't match the contract it's moot as a tribunal will make a determination on what you actually do.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I've no idea, enlight away please.
                      No it's not. Permies have job spec. Contractors are there to deliver pieces of work. Having just a job spec would indicate they can give you any piece of work within a 3 month period (or however how long) which is very bad. That's one of your key pillars gone, well 2 actually. Possibly MoO as well.

Sounds like you need to read all of this but the bit on topic is towards the bottom

Project based work and operating outside IR35

Items 2

IR35 - 10 indicators to show you're not a disguised employee

All of this

IR35 contract risks: what to be wary of when signing contracts

ad infinitum.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X