• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surgery costs via LTD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surgery costs via LTD?

Don't have private health insurance (yes, silly me!)

Have recently found out that I need a minor operation, normally performed as "day surgery", where you go home the same day as long as no complications.

NHS waiting list in London is long, and I would much prefer to get the operation performed miles away closer to home where I have family and friend support. Private cost is around £6.5k, which I'm more than willing to stump up.

My question is, can I put this through my Ltd? Will obviously speak to my Accountant, but was just curious as to what anyone else's experience in this area has been?
    nomadd liked this post

I would ask your accountant, you would need to book it as some sort of employee benefit. However I suspect the benefit would be taxed.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Of course you can. It will just be debited to you Director's Loan Account.

What you can't do, however, is to claim it as an expense.

BOHICA
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        Of course you can. It will just be debited to you Director's Loan Account.

What you can't do, however, is to claim it as an expense.

BOHICA
        You can expense it but there would be a BIK.

Comment

All the above. It's not wholly and exclusively for business so no tax advantage but you can put it thought he company if you want.

I assume you knew it was a bit of a daft question so you posted it in General so we can rip you a new one without getting in to trouble?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            You can expense it but there would be a BIK.
            Note the mention of the word "claim"
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

The old man gets his surgery done cheap overseas. Thailand is fine but he was butchered in Iran.

Comment

If the surgery is required due to work related incident you can claim compo from your Ltd to cover the cost without it being classed as an expense/BIK, probably.

Otherwise, see if you can class it as a 'back to work quicker' cost by going private that is worth it to your Ltd if waiting for the NHS would mean you can't do something that would have a financial impact on your Ltd.

If it's not related to or affecting work then it will be a BIK expense as there is no reason the Ltd should be involved if it's just to reduce tax by getting the money out of the Ltd to pay for it.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  The old man gets his surgery done cheap overseas. Thailand is fine but he was butchered in Iran.
                  All gay men get butchered in Iran...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Feeling fine for now, so will plod along until I'm next "lying on the bench" and have the surgery done then.

It would seem this healthy lifestyle I'm leading is doing me no good whatsoever.. Or maybe it's the near 30 years of contracting finally catching up with me.. Must look on Google Maps for "Contractors Graveyard" location.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X