• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with mental illness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    We wait for the next moronic incarnation with bated breath....
    and loaded shotguns??

Comment

What??

Originally posted by Janes Rees View Post
      the alarm is set for 6am so I'm up in time for my 2.5 hour commute.
      It takes at least half an hour to get up and get to the station, so that means you can't get to work before 9 o'clock (aka middle of the morning). I bet everyone's at their desk before you waltz in.

And I don't know if you've ever noticed what trains are for.

They're for sleeping!
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Janes Rees View Post
        Because of where I live, there's always a long commute.

Yes, I do stopover a couple of times a week sometimes but it still leaves me with 3 mornings a week where I have to be up with the lark.

I used to be more amenable to the full Mon-Fri stopover but, frankly, I find lonely hotel rooms somewhat soul destroying these days & I'm way too long in the tooth for shared accommodation.

Anyway, because of the way the industry had gone in recent years and because of the writing on the wall WRT IR35 etc I think I've convinced myself that I really need to get out of IT altogether.
        Have you ever stopped and considered that your way of living - contracting, away from home, long commute etc. might be causing or at the very least fueling your MH issues?

Frankly it worries me how ppl in such situations solely rely on medication to "fix" them instead of looking at the source for their feelings.

If waking at 6 AM for 2.5h commute is making you anxious, stop doing it ffs, find a local job, or move home to where the jobs are.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          Frankly it worries me how ppl in such situations solely rely on medication to "fix" them instead of looking at the source for their feelings.
          Personally I think the biggest source lengthy depression is people refusing to get out of situations where they are losing - girlfriend doesn't want them anymore, lifestyle/mortgage too big to support, job too demanding, career unattainable etc . Depression is a mechanism to nudge you to back off. If you keep going back in the ring, you get locked into an emotional stalemate.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Why are people still responding to a banned sockies made up tales?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why are people still responding to a banned sockies made up tales?
              What's it to you?
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                Personally I think the biggest source lengthy depression is people refusing to get out of situations where they are losing - girlfriend doesn't want them anymore, lifestyle/mortgage too big to support, job too demanding, career unattainable etc . Depression is a mechanism to nudge you to back off. If you keep going back in the ring, you get locked into an emotional stalemate.
                Perhaps you should write a book about your new findings
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  Your post suggests you don't have a clue about proper depression.....
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your post suggests you don't have a clue about proper depression.....
                    To be fair, neither have I.

To the best of my knowledge I've never experienced it.

That doesn't mean that I don't believe it exists, just that I don't know what it is.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I’m of a different view to most on here. I actually think thank most clients are nice human beings. I’d suggest tell them what’s going on. If they bin the OPs friend then they’re top notch cnnts.
                      Chances are they’ll be too sh1t scared and will be supportive.

It’s not always about perm vs contract and sometimes about humans.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X