• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting with mental illness"

Collapse

• SeededLoaf
    replied
    If you can manage to continue with your contract and turn up it may help in the long term. I've been through a period of having panic, anxiety and depression but found it got worse if I started avoiding situations e.g contact with people. I think if I had WFH for too long i'd have ended up house bound along with bouts of cabin fever. When working on a technical problems the focus was a kind of relief because it distracted me from the issues so I ended up working harder

So yes it was pretty great. One of the worst parts is the general lack of empathy as people don't realise how bad it is unless they've experienced it themselves. Plus you may look fine on the outside etc

Apart from mental focus, exercise makes a huge difference (sleep and dopamine boost) plus avoid booze and caffeine.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    You Have to be crazy to be a contractor, don't you?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    Isnt the bigger problem contractors having to work for mentally ill line managers, as problematic projects disproportionately have management with multiple problems of their own.
    It is more of a personality disorder thing.

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveMK View Post
    Hi guys,

First-time poster, my girlfriend is contracted to a government department. She suffers from anxiety and occasional depression and has to take anti-dep meds daily.

These meds make her real tired at times and she occasionally sleeps through alarms and misses morning meetings.

I've said she should explain her medical situation to her bosses so they can understand her situation and not think she's just lazy or not bothered.

But because she's a contractor she's nervous that they'd just sack her and get someone else in.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Would love to get some thoughts on common practice and how well or otherwise businesses treat contractors with mental illness like this...

Thanks!
    Isnt the bigger problem contractors having to work for mentally ill line managers, as problematic projects disproportionately have management with multiple problems of their own.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Nope. I'm not even "Henry the mild mannered janitor".
    Neither was Hong Kong Phooey, he was called Penry (shortened form of Penrod).

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Old scrotum, the wrinkled retainer??

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Get someone to read this to you, it may explain what's happening to you.
    Can't be bothered to click on a link supplied by a cretin. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Why would I do my best? It was sufficient.
    Get someone to read this to you, it may explain what's happening to you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Is that really the best you can do?

***** me, it'll take me days to recover from that one!
    Why would I do my best? It was sufficient.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We've established that you're a cretin, but that doesn't narrow it down that much.
    Is that really the best you can do?

***** me, it'll take me days to recover from that one!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    We've established that you're a cretin, but that doesn't narrow it down that much.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    You still don't know who you are? Have you asked Matron?

(Max called from the 1960s and wants his joke back)

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    An obese bearded bloke who sustains himself on KFC buckets all day and struggles to get out of bed?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    We wait for the next moronic incarnation with bated breath....
    I am fairly certain he is mentally ill.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Indeed - but who am I...?
    An obese bearded bloke who sustains himself on KFC buckets all day and struggles to get out of bed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X